Presidio students excel in rocketry

The Presidio Rocketry team,

The Presidio Rocketry team, ""Light year" returns from a successful launch. The group members are (left to right): Gaspar Pina, Leslie Mendoza, Alex Leon, Ivye Dolino and Jonathan Almuina. Dolino and Almunia are UTPB online students. These five individuals attend Presidio High school in Presidio, Texas and represent the Blue Devil mascot.

Ivye Dolino, Guest writer

This picture was taken in Presidio, Texas depicting the Presidio Rocketry team, Light-Year, retrieving their rocket after a successful launch. Here in Presidio High school, the students are willing to put extra time and effort after school to create a rocket from scratch. In order to do so, the members of the group must work together and analyze the different factors that could affect the rocket’s performance. Some factors to consider when building a rocket are the weight, humidity, temperature, pressure, gravity, wind and friction. Each one of the factors need to be taken to account since each can greatly impact the rocket’s performance.

Each year, the challenge becomes more difficult. This year, the rocket had to fly 850 feet up and had to land between 43 to 45 seconds while the payload, or the eggs, inside the rocket must remain intact. The scores can be determined using a score sheet. The perfect score is a 0 so the lower the score, the better. Light-Year has launched many times and our best scores were 12 and 13. The group is hoping to qualify to the finals in Virginia with these scores, however, we are still trying to improve and get a better score.

The Rocketry program pushes each individual outside their comfort zone and encourages them to give their full potential. It sculpts the students to become an individual who asks questions and find the answers rather than wait for it to come. The students’ knowledge broadens, however. Rocketry creates more than just a group of problem solvers. Rocketry helps develop friendships and team work. Each team member must be able to communicate with each other clearly to create the team’s ideal rocket. They also have to learn how each team member work since they are required to work together in close quarters.