Getting THAT job!

Kelsie Clifton writes for the Mesa Journal. She is an online student who lives in Odessa.

Kelsie Clifton, Features Writer and Columnist

We have all been there. Sweaty palms and wearing the best clothes we could find in our closet while hoping we don’t say anything wrong that could cost us our future potential job. That’s if we are even able to make it past explaining why we need this job and why we would be the perfect candidate for the position.

If we were honest we would say, “Listen here. I am a graduated/in school college student and to be honest, I need someone to give me a chance. My student loans will start kicking in soon and the job I had at sixteen just won’t cut it.” And don’t even get me started on the whole must need five years of experience song and dance that every professional job wants.

I sometimes think, where are the jobs that actually gives five years of experience instead of just requiring it? Well, the good thing is that there is help and getting a job does not have to be as stressful as it may have been in the past and The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) can even help assist in you choosing your career.

Sometimes it is hard to be noticed in entry level jobs when everyone has the same qualifications which makes you have an even playing field, but it is possible to stand out from the crowd and be noticed.

Research The Company

It is very important to do your homework beforehand. Research the company by visiting their online website if they have one and also be sure to check the company’s social media page. A lot of companies will change some things around and post it on their social media pages that people check more so be sure to go to those. A prospective employer will be glad to see that you took the time out to learn the background of the company.

Know and Analyze the Job You Are Applying For

What are the skills needed for this particular role? What is something you should excel in to be successful in this position? These are some questions you should know before you interview. Knowing what is expected makes them explaining the position to you easier and it also shows that you want the job. Most people just sit in and learn more about the position during the interview but you can have an advantage by already being ahead in what it is you will be doing.

Know Your Top 5-10 Skills

Now is the time to brag on yourself in a good way. You need to know yourself and know what you are good at. Employers like to know that you are confident in what you can do and know what you’re doing. Articulate your strengths but be prepared to discuss your weaknesses too. Just remember to end on a positive note, even when discussing your weaknesses.

“It’s all about the ‘I’ statements and being able to talk about your unique experiences and accomplishments, skills, and knowledge you’ve picked up, as it relates to the job,” says Elton, Director of Career Services at Davidson, a highly selective liberal arts college outside Charlotte, NC.

Practice Interview and Talk to Professors in That Area for Tips

The great thing about being a college student is that we have greatness at our fingertips, literally. There are highly skilled professors who have a degree in the very field that you are trying to get into. Setting up a time to meet with them and go over the position could be the divide between getting the job or not getting the job. More than likely that professor once had a job doing the same thing you want to and they can help better prepare you in telling you what the company will be looking for. You can also use this time to have a mock interview and prepare yourself for some of the questions that might be asked.

Have Some Questions Prepared That You Want to Ask

Yes, you are the one being interviewed but a common myth is that we are supposed to just sit there and answer questions. Having some questions prepared that you want to ask the manager shows that you take value in your position, will take your job seriously, and with integrity.

I remember when I worked for a hotel when I was 19 years old. I went into the interview with a list of about five questions. Literal list, paper and all. The manager at the time, who later became my manager, expressed to me how impressed she was to see that I had taken the time out to prepare some questions myself. She said that it showed her I was not only a serious candidate but that I had taken time to prepare in advance.

Know What Would Make You a Better Candidate Than Others

What is it about you that sets you apart from other candidates? What do you bring to the table that another person does not? What can you offer and how can you help to make the company better?

One thing I like to do when I get a job is to look at the business and see different ways that they can improve. I then go and pitch my ideas because that shows that I am not only seeing this as a nine to five, but as a position at a company in which I want to help to grow as well.

Be Aware of Your Body Language

Have a firm handshake, sit up straight, and keep your eye contact. Doing those three things alone shows that you are confident. Don’t let them see you sweat.

Follow Up & Finish Strong

It is important to follow-up with a thank you email within the next 24 hours after the interview. Thank them for taking the time out to interview you, reference back to something they said and tell them how it helped you, and then end it by telling them why you now know that this position is right for you. Just know if you are not following up, someone is and they just got a call back over you.

How can UTPB help you to score the right job?

UTPB offers career counseling services. According to the UTPB website, a career counselor can help you pick a career, get you set up with getting some experience, internships, transitioning from college to your career, and possibly connect you with the right employer for you. They will be able to help you clarify your goals, explore personal concerns and develop a plan of action. The great thing is that counseling services are free to currently enrolled UTPB students, UTPB graduates, and students currently pre-registered to attend the university.

“I wanted to thank you and the Career Services department at UTPB for the help, time and opportunities you have offered me.  I especially enjoyed the Jaymin Patel talk and learned so much from the resume and mock interview critiques.  Your interest in the students’ success really shows!  Thank you,” said Jazmin Blair, a former student who used the Career Services, in a success story written on their webpage.

You can go to UTPB.edu to download their student information form, call (432) 552-2633, email [email protected], or stop by the Career Counseling and Job Placement Service Center to make an appointment to speak with a career counselor.