Fall 2016: a semester of change

Waltt

Waltt

Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia, Multimedia Reporter and Columnist

”There is nothing permanent except change”

No quote could better describe the environment the university is in. This year will surely be remembered for many years to come. And why not? Big things are happening—big changes are taking place.

First of all, as if the world was not a scary place already, the campus conceal carry law came into effect this fall semester—which had me scared, frightened and afraid for a minute, to be honest. I don’t hate guns, but I don’t love them either. As I started digesting this new change at school, it got me thinking that it is not the guns that provoke so many emotions and feelings in me. Guns are not bad and are not dangerous. But it has come to the point that they are because of us. Our race (as humans) are the reason why they have become a threat. But more than that, it is the reason why they are used. They are used to destroy and take away lives. So does the campus conceal carry law really change anything? I realize it does not change anything at all whatsoever. Will the campus be safer? Will it become not safe? Will that make us feel like we have control? I don’t know. My fears were and are unfounded. How can I feel afraid, frightened, and scared? Nothing has happened, and hopefully, never will. I hope that our university never has to go through that to understand that whether we have guns to feel protected allowed at our campus or not. Instead, we should reflect upon why so many horrific events at universities have happened. I think that this generation, my generation, have come so far as to think that we have the right to take someone’s life just because they don’t share the same opinions and ideologies. It is up to this generation to stop that egocentric way of thinking, to start thinking that violence is never the answer, and to stop thinking that guns solve problems. It’s time to begin to appreciate the beauty of respectfully disagreeing with words.

Completely changing the channel and the tone… let’s talk about football. We have a football team. Finally! Although I wasn’t a big fan of football when I moved to the USA, you see I am Mexican. And we Mexicans (not generalizing) but we are fans of football, but the real one, the beautiful game, you know? After many years of refusing to accept football I finally gave in. football is… words cannot describe how I feel about it. It’s confusing, you see I am not a violent person, but when I see them tackle each other I cannot help but cheer them on. Saying that football is one of the most physical sports out there is an understatement, but I am sure glad that we have a football team now. Plus, we are undefeated. Having a football team will surely make a difference in our campus, but it will also benefit our community. From a business point of view, it will indeed have a positive effect on the economy. Personally, though I think that the most benefited out of all are the students I think that sports have the capacity of unifying people. So I hope that our UTPB Football team does great on the field. Go Falcons!

Last but not least, I want to touch on a topic that has probably surprised many. It certainly surprised me: Dr. Watts last year at UTPB. Fifteen years have passed since he became the president of UTPB, and he has been instrumental in what the university has become. There has been a growth not only in student enrollment, but it has also expanded greatly: new buildings, new degrees are now offered, the football team, band. Whoever is next will have to come with the great ambition of not only maintaining this level of consistency in terms of growth, but also of surpassing it.

Fall of 2016 will be always remembered for many reasons. But if there is one word to summarize it is CHANGE. Expecting that things should not change is having no expectations. Change is good. Changes are prone to bring progress. So let us rejoice in change. Accept it. Celebrate it, and most of all enjoy it.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Fall 2016: a semester of change”

1. Hanna Meraz on August 31st, 2016 8:32 pm

[Reply]

2. cristina on September 1st, 2016 1:38 pm

great post! I was waiting for you to mention the new dinning hall and its new rules!

[Reply]

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Headphones relate: ‘Do not talk to me’

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Birth Control: In Odessa high school pregnancy socially preferred

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Shortage of face-to-face communications courses impacts students

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Politics as Usual: Can Americans learn to agree to disagree?

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Something ‘fishy’ going on in Washington, D.C.

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

‘Bathroom Bill’ short-sighted

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Engaging presidential speech: Actions to follow?

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Pardon me, but I am one of ‘those people’

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

For the blue among the red

• Fall 2016: a semester of change

Opinion

Donald Trump, no gentleman

Fall 2016: a semester of change