Got your tickets for homecoming game?

Carnival kicks off Homecoming Week!

Falcon+Football+players+get+ready+for+Homecoming.+
Falcon Football players get ready for Homecoming.

Walter Challapa

Walter Challapa

Bernadette Adkins, Features and Entertainment Writer

The celebration of the Falcon’s inaugural homecoming football game is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 8 vs Eastern New Mexico at Ratliff Stadium in Odessa.
Tailgating begins at noon with live music featuring Twisted Texas at 5 pm. The game kicks off at 7 and features a special halftime recognizing alumna Celeste Potter, Director of the Education Foundation of Odessa.

Carnival kicks off Homecoming Week

Homecoming week started Monday Oct.3. The first event of the week was the Carnival Game competition between the teams, the games were also available to any student that wanted to play. At each game, the people in charge handed out tickets depending on well students competed and they could collect prizes with those tickets.

There was a shooting gallery with action figures standing on a table and you had to shoot them down with a nerf gun. Students received three nerf bullets and every figure knocked down, earned a ticket. The next game had a similar concept, the can throw. There were 6 stacked cans and three balls. The amount of cans knocked down, earned the same number of tickets. Balloon Darts had some cool rules. There were balloons filled with pennies, nickels, and glitter that got people 1,2, and 3 tickets in that order. The carnival also had Football toss that had different size holes and the big holes earned 3 tickets and the small, harder ones were for 5 tickets.  Ring toss had three different color bottles: There was one ticket earned for the orange bottles, two for the black, and three for the white bottles. Cornhole was flexible with their tickets. If you made it on the board you got 1 ticket, on the hole you got 2, and in the hole you got 3 tickets. There was a little duck pond there that had a variety of numbers on the bottom of the ducks. You were allowed to pull 4 ducks out and if two numbers matched then students received 2 tickets, if  three matched that was 5 points, and if you matched all four that was 10 tickets. The last game had a bucket full of plastic balls and you had to guess how many were in there. If you guessed within 20 you got 1 ticket, within 10 was 2 tickets, within 5 was 3 tickets, and if you guessed I all you got 10 total tickets.

Among all these carnival games the teams only competed in the Football toss, balloon darts, cornhole, shooting gallery, and a new one named Plinko. Plinko was a wall that had sticks pointing out of it and numbers at the bottom front left to right: 1234554321. You started from the top and dropped a ball and earned the points by what number it landed in. The competition was not based off of tickets but off of points. Only three people from each team participated in each game.

Team Flock came in first with 51 points, followed by the Wrecking Crew with 41 points, the Cavaliers close with 38 points, the Student Senate in fourth with 34 points, Seta with 28 points, and ENACTUS with 21 points.

This was only the first competition. There will be plenty more throughout the week. Go and support your favorite team during this homecoming week!