Interactive sculpture exhibit coming up

Jake Weigel, Guest writer

Ryan Rasmussen “Just For Now”

October 14 – November 18, 2016

Artist Lecture: Thursday, October 14, 2016, 4 pm.

Opening Reception: Thursday, October 14, 2016, 5-7 p.m.

Food and refreshments.

Free & Open to the Public

Nancy Fyfe Cardozier Gallery Charles A. Sorber Visual Arts Building The University of Texas of the Permian Basin 4901 E. University Blvd.

Odessa, Texas 79762

This exhibition features interactive sculpture by visiting artist Ryan Rasmussen. Rasmussen’s processes include many forms of sculpture, installation, kinetic and electronic works, collaboration, 3D printing, sound and video. He makes art that probes a wide range of aspects of the built environment and focusing specifically on cultural artifacts and popular products. This comes from an interest in how cultural artifacts simultaneously embody and emit desire, especially as the world continues to expand yet becomes smaller through use of such avenues as the internet and globalization of markets. Rasmussen believes his role as an artist is to interpret these forces that are not only present in our world but are major players in crafting it and representing that in a unique way.

Originally form Neenah, Wisconsin, Rasmussen received his Bachelor of Fine Arts in Sculpture from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and his Masters of Fine Arts in Dimensional Practice from the University of Iowa. After teaching at Virginia Commonwealth University in Doha, Qatar Ryan Rasmussen became Assistant Professor of Sculpture at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee beginning in 2015. He has exhibited work in solo and group exhibitions in the Middle East, Thailand, Argentina and throughout the United States.

www.RyanJRasmussen.com

All events are supported by UTPB – Student Life and the Odessa Council for the Arts and Humanities.

Gallery Hours: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday & Sunday 2 – 5 p.m.

http://www.facebook.com/nfcgallery

Upcoming Exhibitions: Freshman/Sophomore Juried Exhibition (12/1/16 – 1/15/17)

Paintings of James Gill (1/26/17 – 3/6/17)

For more information contact Jake Weigel, [email protected] or (432) 552-2285art-ryan-rasmussen-poster-small