Donald Trump, no gentleman

Waltt

Waltt

Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia, Managing Editor

As the day of the election gets closer, I have become restless, anxious, and more frustrated as the time passes. Sometimes it seems that there will not be an end to it, and sometimes it seems that it has been an eternity since it started a year ago. If you had asked me a year ago, I would never have thought that nightmares could come true.

Who would have thought that in a civilized country like the United States a person like Donald Trump would be allowed to become a nominee for the most important job in the world—let alone the Republican Party

At first, I thought that it was a joke, even a show. Since Americans are quite fond of reality shows (as Trump starred on the reality show “The Apprentice”), I thought Donald Trump’s campaign is just his way of appeasing his thirst for fame and his ludicrous need of being the center of national debate. Boy, was I wrong. What I assumed to be a joke was not taken as a joke to many people.

Here’s where my nightmare began. What I thought was used for comic relief was suddenly taken seriously by many people, which was surprisingly shocking. With comments like “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.” or “I think the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I’m more honest and my women are more beautiful” or when he said “I was down there, and I watched our police and our firemen, down on 7-Eleven, down at the World Trade Center, right after it came down”. The fact that some people think that he tells it like it is, is really something to be afraid of. Since when did the words of a racist, ignorant, misogynistic man become something to look up to and follow? Since when did the words of an ill-mannered man become something to be revered and talked about?

This became more of choosing a side based on the lack of choices and conforming to standards imposed by a man who lacks the understanding as to how to rule a country. When have we ever seen that a nominee that has gotten away with so much? I tried to find some explanation, some hidden strategy behind his incredible marketing campaign. If there was something I blamed, the media was on my number one list. But after seeing the response of a nation, the problem is not the media: it is the people. I am not generalizing. But how come so many just stood there and watched a nightmare unfold?

The media dedicated many hours of footage to his campaign, omitting his low standards and the lack of model behavior past nominees have had. I cannot count the many times during a debate Donald Trump interrupted his fellow party nominees; the many times he got personal with them; the many times he insulted the disabled; the many comments made towards and about women such as “You know, it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of a**”, or what he said about his own daughter “If Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.” I could not believe what my eyes were seeing and still nobody even thought about boycotting him or banned him from appearing on the media.

Is this what we think about freedom of speech?  To what extent does freedom of speech go? Is there a limit? You see, this is the problem with freedom, we do not know how to deal with it, we haven’t learned when to stop. Is freedom limited to your opinions? Does freedom take into consideration the thoughts and opinions of others?

I watched as the days grew into months, and now it’s been a year since the nightmare started. Still, it seems some people need to wake up. I cannot control who you vote for: that’s your decision. But I am concerned when I hear that people actually see him holding the most important job in the United States. I could see that they must be tired of the usual political figure who promises something, and when he gets into office he is more worried about a political agenda that needs to be met before he can do anything about it. The thought that a businessman, someone who we would not normally see running for president, is a refreshing idea. But could it not have been someone else—someone with the sense and fairness?

It is at difficult times when we are faced with the most difficult decisions. Having to elect the next president of the United States does not come every year.  That is why you have to be very careful of whom to choose. As citizens of a nation, we have rights and obligations. We have the right to vote for whomever we choose, but we must also be aware that we have the obligation to the country to elect the best person for the office.

I have never believed in people in politics, but I have never stopped believing in human beings. I think that as citizens of a country we have the duty to elect someone who is fit, well prepared, and educated enough on the issues to take on the challenge of becoming the next president. I think that as citizens we have more power than we actually think. It is because of a people that someone gets to be president.

I am not asking you to vote for anyone in particular, although my stance is clear. I am asking you to take a moment and see for yourself: think and ask what it is that you deserved. Think about the future. Write down what it is that you would want to see in a president.

We ask too much of people in power, yet if we are honest the things we ask of them are often things that we wouldn’t do ourselves. It is impossible to ask for a perfect leader because we are humans. But we have the right and responsibility of choosing the most appropriate person for the job. With votes we can make the difference.

Maybe when former U.S. President John F. Kennedy said “Do not ask what your country can do for you, but what you can do for country” he sensed that someday this quote might be needed. Today this quote fits like never before.

What are you going to?

Now more than ever your vote is important. And remember that if you don’t vote you still have an opinion, but could you really complain?

It’s in your hands.

1 Comment

One Response to “Donald Trump, no gentleman”

1. Ana on October 22nd, 2016 12:30 am

Excellent reflection !

[Reply]

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Politics as Usual: Can Americans learn to agree to disagree?

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Something ‘fishy’ going on in Washington, D.C.

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

‘Bathroom Bill’ short-sighted

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Engaging presidential speech: Actions to follow?

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Pardon me, but I am one of ‘those people’

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

For the blue among the red

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Political Ontology

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Literacy in accordance with public education

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Fall 2016: a semester of change

• Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Getting THAT job!

Donald Trump, no gentleman