For the blue among the red

Christin Covington, Staff Reporter and Columnist

blue-roses-7As the day goes on, I’ve found myself trying to rationalize what has occurred this election season.  Though I want to be angry I haven’t gotten my way, I am reminded that holding resentment does nothing but hurt me.  As a young woman, I’ve been disgusted by the words of our new leader.  Writhing in my seat, I’ve watched the extreme degradation of minorities, persons of disability, and everyone in between, none of which I found as  unsettling as the lude and lascivious, vicious and disturbing vocal and sexual attacks on women.

What does it mean to be a woman in the United States?  I have always felt the ring of freedom in my ears, but looking back on the brave women in history who have dedicated their lives to empowering the female form, dragging it out of oppression, and bringing it to bloom, I all but weep. I feel ashamed to be surrounded by such vitriol and hatred. I feel afraid for my future. I feel embarrassed for my country.  

As a child, I never dreamt of being president.  I don’t recall anyone in particular ever telling me that I couldn’t be president, but that was because I never claimed to want to be.  However, I don’t remember politics being presented to me as a truly viable option.  I was watching men in suits on television with my father, while I had tea parties for my dollies.  I was practicing putting on makeup so I could be beautiful.  Men wanted me to be beautiful.  I learned it in movies and books.  I learned it from clothing and toys.  I learned it from looking around at other women and the example they set for me.  I learned it from watching my mother diet, and primp, and spend hours on her appearance.  I was pushed into being a dainty, pretty thing, not a brave, strong warrior.  I was pushed in the direction of mothering, nurturing, and caring for babies.  Was it for lack of interest that I didn’t take a political road, or was it for lack of push in the right direction?  Was I not deemed capable, or was I unaware it was an option?

Today, I recognize that women are intelligent, amazing creatures, powerful and bold, sharp and driven.  I recognize that women persevere in a man’s world.  From solely housewives and mothers, women have moved on to not only taking the bulk of responsibility for nurturing future generations, they have also demanded a piece of their own American dream.  They have decided to have two jobs, instead of one.  They have decided to grit their teeth and bear the weight of needy children, alongside cramming their stilettos in the door of the business, political, and financial world.  They have proven time and time again, that no matter what, they will create their own destiny, and they will do it with poise and dignity.

So, to the blue rose, reaching for the sun out of the red soil, to those of you in search of more than the maternal side of life, to those little girls pouring tea for their bears and Barbies, unaware of the spinning world, you are worth everything.  You could be the change.  You could be the one.  You could be the future.  Whatever path you choose as a woman, know that you are no less than your fellow man, and we are all the same.  

But to that blue raft floating out on the desolate Red Sea, keep paddling.  You’ll soon have your toes in the sand.  

9 Comments

9 Responses to “For the blue among the red”

1. Gudrun on November 9th, 2016 4:35 pm

Großartig geschrieben! Das was Frauen erreicht haben (und es hat wirklich lange gedauert und war ein harter und schwieriger Weg), das darf nicht wieder verloren gehen. Dass meine Tochter und Enkelin ein gleichberechtigtes und selbstbestimmtes Leben ohne Benachteiligungen fuehren können, das wuensche ich mir und ich wuensche und erhoffe es für alle Frauen.

Translation:

Great written! What women have achieved that can (and it took a really long time and was a hard and difficult way), be not again lost. My daughter and granddaughter can cause an equal and self-determined life without discrimination, that I wish me and I wish and hope it for all women.

[Reply]

Christin Covington Reply:

Vielen dank!!! <3

[Reply]

Christin Covington Reply:

Vielen, vielen dank! <3

[Reply]

Christin Covington Reply:

..Und auch, ich stimme zu! Zusammen, Frauen koennen alles tun! Wir mussen nicht Zuruech gehen. Nur vorwaerts. Danke fuer das lesen! <3

[Reply]

2. Jessica Luna on November 10th, 2016 9:12 am

Christin,

This is very well written, unbiased, succinct, and conveys many thoughts of “blue” women this week.

Thanks for speaking up!

[Reply]

Christin Covington Reply:

Thank you Jessica! I appreciate it. It’s just a compilation of what I’ve been hearing the past few days. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

[Reply]

3. Todd Richardson on November 10th, 2016 11:24 am

Beautifully and courageously written. Thank you.

[Reply]

Christin Covington Reply:

Thank you for your kindness!

[Reply]

4. Smitha931 on March 7th, 2017 5:11 am

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Extremely useful information specially the last part.

[Reply]

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Politics as Usual: Can Americans learn to agree to disagree?

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Something ‘fishy’ going on in Washington, D.C.

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

‘Bathroom Bill’ short-sighted

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Engaging presidential speech: Actions to follow?

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Pardon me, but I am one of ‘those people’

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Donald Trump, no gentleman

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Political Ontology

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Literacy in accordance with public education

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Fall 2016: a semester of change

• For the blue among the red

Opinion

Getting THAT job!

For the blue among the red