Communications major envisions Australia

Darrell+Johnson%2C+and+his+Jeep%2C+seek+to+travel+far+in+the+communications+and+marketing+world.+
Darrell Johnson, and his Jeep, seek to travel far in the communications and marketing world.

Brianna Edwards

Brianna Edwards

Brianna Edwards, Guest Writer

Darrell Johnson is a 20-year-old student taking the Communications “Writing for the Media” class. When asked his name, Darrell states:, “It is pronounced DARE-ELL, but when in sketchy areas I go by DUH-RELL for street cred.” This shows part of Darrell’s humor he has. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) student is an outgoing, fun loving man who claims, “I just like to talk, I consider myself outgoing and not afraid to put myself out there. I like to meet new people every day or any chance I get.” He is most interested in learning about broadcasting in COMM Media. Darrell is most excited about this because he says “I love to be on camera. I’m not shy.” Darrell is a family man, “I have a brother and a sister, and I am from Midland.” Darrell wakes up extra early every Tuesday and Thursday to drive from Midland to UTPB, just to make his 8 a.m, class of COMM Media…this is dedication. “I don’t mind waking up a few minutes early just to make it to the 8 a.m. I know a lot of students have trouble waking up early for classes, but I feel like if the class is worth it and you’re excited to go, it’s not that hard.”

Darrell does not enjoy long walks on the beach, but instead (given the opportunity) he would rather take a trip to Australia. “I feel like some people are called to the beach or to the rainforest, but I just feel like I’m called to be with the kangaroos,” he states with good humor. Darrell is an “on the edge” outdoorsman, “I like the outdoors…but in my car. The best feeling is driving with my Jeep’s top down, wind blowing around the sides, and the sun beating down on me.” Darrell loves spending time in his Jeep even if it is a three-minute drive to the store. Darrell is a junior at UTPB majoring in Communications with a minor in marketing. When asked about his future, Darrell says, “I’m not quite sure what I want to do yet. I’ve always wanted to be involved with zoo work whether it’s marketing for them or something like that.” Who knows, maybe one day we will all see Darrell Johnson drive up in his Jeep to do a broadcasting segment at an Australian zoo…but until then, we will just see him in COMM Media every Tuesday and Thursday morning (early).