Bible study group on campus professes faith, not ‘force’

UTPB student Danny Martinez (left) speaks about the Bible study group that he helps to lead on campus.

Rafael Ricciardi

Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia, Multi-Media Managing Editor

With various student activities offered on campus, it is often hard to decide which ones are the right ones to attend, depending, of course, in your specific interests. Danny Martinez, a petroleum engineer at UTPB, is promoting his Bible study/prayer group transpiring every Friday evening at 8 p.m. at the Parker Ranch House. It started off as a prayer group with three people, but has now become a Bible study with more than 30 attendees. They are welcoming everyone, and if you’re curious about what they do: It starts off with a prayer, then some Bible reading, and finally they open up the floor for people to share what they got out of the reading.

Martinez is one of the three people in charge of this Bible study, and from his experience, these Bible studies have a deeper meaning for him. For him, it has been a life-changing experience and he wishes to encourage others to participate. He also maintains that his purpose was not to “force them [other students], because that’s not what being a Christian is. Being a Christian is having a relationship with Christ.” He also reiterates the huge impact that it had on his life and his belief that it could also impact others who have gone through similar circumstances.

Oftentimes Christians are criticized for trying to impose their will as being the one and only belief system, which often leads to a negative perception of Christianity. His response was, “You have to love your neighbor as yourself. You have to reach out to them, but not to reach out in the way where you force people. But the best way to reach to someone is through your life. If you are truly living what you say, you don’t even have to say anything. You have to be an example. You have to be genuine, you have to be real.”

However, not only are these students caring for what’s going on campus, but they are expanding their horizons towards national and even world interests. With the recent transition of power from former president Barack Obama to now President Donald J. Trump, and all of the havoc it has been causing in various parts of the country, I took the liberty of asking what his thoughts of Trump’s elections where. His response was, “We cannot do anything but pray because in the Bible it is written that it says to pray for our leaders and anyone who is in charge. For some reason, Donald Trump got that position and for some reason God allowed it. If God allowed that to happen, who am I to question him? So what I can do, as a man of God, is pray for him. Pray that he runs this country as best as he can.”
We concluded the interview, with perhaps the most important question, which is: Why would any student that’s busy with numerous deadlines, bills to pay, and good grades to keep up be interested in coming to this event? He responded with a brief testimony of what this Bible study group and what he recounts as his relationship “with God” had impacted his life claiming that when: “I found God …he truly transformed my life. I am not saying religion, I am saying relationship. That’s when I understood that even though I went through all of that it was because it was for something greater.” So there you have it. If you perhaps did not know such a group like this got together here on campus, don’t forget to check them out on Fridays at 8:00 pm at the Ranch House.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Bible study group on campus professes faith, not ‘force’”

1. Danny Martinez on February 27th, 2017 2:45 pm

Awesome breakdown of our talk Ana, keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!
    Also for allowing me this great opportunity! GOD BLESS

[Reply]

2. Amy Velasquez on February 27th, 2017 3:21 pm

This is great!!

[Reply]

• Bible study group on campus professes faith, not ‘force’

Seen On Campus

Check out ‘The Free Store’ on campus

Seen On Campus

UTPB honors graduating veterans with cord ceremony

Seen On Campus

Seen On Campus

Outgoing and incoming presidents lauded with accolades, standing ovation

Seen On Campus

Researchers push envelope for Undergraduate Research Day

Seen On Campus

Comedian, actor Terry Crews to speak on ‘Humor in Leadership’

Seen On Campus

UTPB students learn moves to ‘fight back’

Seen On Campus

UTPB students zipline as part of Falcon Palooza

Seen On Campus

UTPB student named to International Dean’s List

Seen On Campus

UTPB faculty considering food pantry for students going hungry