‘Writing for Media’ course tours CBS-7

CBS-7+Chief+Meteorologist+Greg+Morgan+explains+the+complexities+of+operating+with+a+mere+blue+screen+for+demonstrating+the+weather+at+the+UTPB+%22Writing+for+the+the+Media%22+communications+class+tour+on+March+2.++A+few+of+the+students+%28standing+left+to+right%29+are+Mariana+Veloso%2C+Braxton+Dean+and+Alberto+Velasquez.+
CBS-7 Chief Meteorologist Greg Morgan explains the complexities of operating with a mere blue screen for demonstrating the weather at the UTPB

CBS-7 Chief Meteorologist Greg Morgan explains the complexities of operating with a mere blue screen for demonstrating the weather at the UTPB "Writing for the the Media" communications class tour on March 2. A few of the students (standing left to right) are Mariana Veloso, Braxton Dean and Alberto Velasquez.

Myra Salcedo

Myra Salcedo

Darrell Johnson, Guest Writer

The tour of the news channel CBS-7 in Odessa started by meeting the very talented Tatum Guinn. The news anchor was the tour guide for The University of Texas of the Permian Basin’s “Writing for the Media” course for more than an hour. She lead the class through the entire news studio (a bit of a maze located in Music City Mall) and explained what each section did.

Guinn, the anchorwoman for the channel, answered a vast amount of questions ranging from how to read a teleprompter (that includes foot pedals!) to what she does in the moment of an on-camera sneeze.  She has been with the station for five years–starting as an intern at UTPB and working her way all the way to anchor in such a short amount of time.

After answering the questions the class had, Guinn introduced Greg Morgan, the chief meteorologist. Before working for CBS-7, Morgan was a stand-up comedian. He hated being on the road so much so left stand up, went to college for his specific field and has been working for CBS-7 for the past fifteen years. The tour really took an interesting turn when he put on an actual recorded weather broadcast right in front of the class. After finishing his recording, he invited the class to step in front of the blue screen to see what it is like to be a weatherman. This was particularly interesting because everything is reversed on the screen which makes it difficult to point to the screen and know where weather elements are located. In addition, he mentioned that wearing anything blue would pick up the weather map like the blue screen.

The tour concluded when Guinn showed the editing rooms. In these three rooms is where all of the clips are put together. Sound is added and video editing occurs. It is quite remarkable how each reporter shoots, edits and locates each story.