Interested in global relations? Sign up for TexMun

The UTPB TexMun Team includes (left to right) Erica Esparza, Thomas Tillman, Ben Farmer, David Blaine, and Christian Medina.

Erica Esparza, Political Writer and Columnist

TexMun is a conference in Texas that stems from Model United Nations (MUN) and was founded by MUN’s partner organization the Osgood Center for International Studies in Washington D.C. TexMun stands for Texas Model United Nations. Model United Nations, also known as Model UN or MUN, is an educational simulation and/or academic competition in which students can learn about diplomacy, international relations, and the United Nations. The Osgood Center for International Studies holds two huge conferences in the nation which are held in Washington D.C. (NMUN-DC) and New York (NMUN-NY). In January of 2015, the first TexMun was held in Abilene Texas which included Texas Universities such as Baylor, UTPB, Hardin-Simmons, and TCU.

I was fortunate enough to take a team to represent UTPB at the first TexMun conference in Abilene, Texas and in UTPB’s first appearance we received the Honorable Mention Delegation Award for best deputation representing the country of Nigeria. UTPB also participated in the second state conference that was held at The University of Texas at Austin on January 15-17 of 2016.

Let us get familiar with what Model United Nations is and how it can be beneficial to participating in your university’s team. During the course of a conference such as TexMun, which is usually a three-day conference, you as an individual will represent the delegation of a country debating on specific topics in a political body otherwise known as committees. The amount of committees depends on the conferences, so for instance, TexMun usually has four committees such as the Security Council, the World Health Organization, Disarmament and International Security, and United Nations Human Rights Council. There are specific topics to debate within those committees, so for instance, the Security Council would debate on topics such as Terrorism and/or Crisis Management in Failed and Fragile countries. During those days, you would defend your country’s position on these specific topics and in the end try to negotiate and obtain a “resolution” that will be as favorable as possible to your country. This may come across as political-oriented and complicated but the purpose of Model U.N is to improve skills that are required in all areas of job related skills even outside the political/governmental arena even after you graduate. Model U.N. has had student participation in all areas of study such as law, economics, business, psychology, engineering, and even biology. Model U.N. improves your public speaking skills to boost your confidence while speaking in front of an audience, it teaches you how to negotiate like a professional, improves your writing skills while preparing resolution papers to convey your opinion through a written document, it teaches you proper decorum and how to act professionally while deal making, enhances leadership skills, it exposes you to an array of multi-cultural students that participate internationally which triggers friendships, and it gives you an opportunity to travel either domestically or for international conferences held abroad. Participating in Model United Nations can be used as leverage in your MUN experience and network to get into graduate schools and find jobs. Your participation ooks great on a resume!! Admission officers and job interviewers look for examples of leadership, and your experience as a delegate or conference organizer will be good examples. It is also great for networking through the students you meet at TexMun or other conferences.

The goal is to create a UTPB Model United Nations team/club and keep UTPB engaged amongst top universities in Texas while participating in this collegiate academic competition and with experience, UTPB can begin to participate in national conferences such as those held in Washington D.C. and New York. This is a great benefit to UTPB to appeal to international students as well as giving UTPB students an opportunity to represent our campus and themselves at the state level and in the future, with some experience, maybe the national and international level. The exposure for UTPB is wonderful and this offers endless opportunities for UTPB students and their future. If interested in joining a UTPB Model United Nations team, please contact Erica Esparza at [email protected]. As a past Model United Nations participate, I strongly encourage and welcome student participation.