UTPB Men’s Basketball South Central Regional Player of the Year: Daeshon Francis

Daeshon+Francis+celebrates+the+Lone+Star+Season+Conference+win+versus+Texas+A%26M+Commerce.+The+Falcons++won+the+first+game+in+the+Conference+Tournament+March+2.+He+went+on+to+become+player+of+the+year.+
Daeshon Francis celebrates the Lone Star Season Conference win versus Texas A&M Commerce. The Falcons  won the first game in the Conference Tournament March 2. He went on to become player of the year.

Daeshon Francis celebrates the Lone Star Season Conference win versus Texas A&M Commerce. The Falcons won the first game in the Conference Tournament March 2. He went on to become player of the year.

Cassie Rivera

Cassie Rivera

Ryan Haage, UTPB Sports Information Director

University of Texas of the Permian Basin junior forward Daeshon Francis has been named the 2017 Division II Conference Commissioners Association South Central Region Player of the Year.

Francis helped the Falcons lead the Lone Star Conference and rank 12th nationally in scoring this season, averaging 88.3 points per game as a team while ranking 3rd overall in the LSC at 18.2 points per game. He was one of the best shooters in the league, hitting 55.9 percent of his field goals on the season and was the second best rebounder on the team, collecting 6.6 rebounds per game. Francis also led the team with 48 steals and was second on the squad with 99 assists and 22 blocks.

“I had a great support system not only with my family but with the coaching staff here, the students, the other guys on the team and the other athletes on campus, and they all wanted to see me succeed as much as I wanted to see them succeed,” Francis said. “It was a show of how all the time and dedication into the sport of basketball in trying to reach a really high level pays off.”

He scored in double-figures in 30 of 32 games this season and scored a season high 34 points on 13-15 shooting from the field against Southwestern Adventist. He ended the season with four double-doubles and scored at least 20 points 11 times this past year.

“I’m really proud of Daeshon; this honor is really well deserved,” said head coach Andy Newman.  “He means as much to us during practice as he does on the court. His ability to make his teammates better is probably his best attribute. I had a blast coaching him this year and we’ll have even more fun next season.”

For Francis and his teammates, 2016-17 was a season of firsts for UT Permian Basin men’s basketball. The Falcons finished the season 26-6 on the year and were Lone Star Conference regular season and tournament champions in their first season of competition in the league. UTPB had four players selected all-conference, including Francis being named the LSC Player of the Year and Newman being selected the 2017 LSC Coach of the Year.

2016-17 D2CCA NCAA Division II Men’s Basketball South Central Regional Team
First Team
Daeshon Francis, UT Permian Basin (G, Jr., Indianapolis, Ind.)
Gokul Natesan, Colorado School of Mines (G/F, Sr., Santa Clara, Calif.)
Joshua Blaylock, Fort Lewis (G, Sr., Lancaster, Calif.)
Romond Jenkins, Tarleton State (F, Sr., Midwest City, Okla.)
David Chavlovich, West Texas A&M (G, Jr., Arlington, Texas)
Second Team
Quay King, Angelo State (G, Sr., Atlanta, Ga.)
Jeylyn Sharpe, Rogers State (F, Sr., Ketchum, Okla.)
John Moon, Oklahoma Christian (C, Sr., Crescent, Okla.)
Rasmus Bach, Fort Lewis (G, Jr., Austin, Texas)
Seth Youngblood, Arkansas-Fort Smith (G, Sr., Roland, Okla.)
South Central Regional Player of the Year
Daeshon Francis, UT Permian Basin