Something ‘fishy’ going on in Washington, D.C.

Erica Esparza is political writer for the Mesa Journal.

Erica Eparza, Political Writer and Columnist

The 2016 Presidential Election has become the forefront of national debate across the country, and not just for the controversial presidential candidates that lead both major parties, but for the ongoing discussion of foreign interference in the election that has resurfaced as the dust has settled from the result of the recent presidential election. During the tail end of the 2016 Presidential Election, rumors were circling that the Russian government, led by Vladimir Putin, had ordered an influence campaign aimed at the United States ongoing election with clear preference to Presidential candidate Donald Trump. At the time, there were no clear motives to why the Kremlin would have an interest in influencing our election but as rumors began to circulate there were concerns that were raised and President Barack Obama ordered a report on foreign interventions in the 2016 elections while raising sanctions against Russia after the outcome of the presidential race. U.S. Senators called for a bipartisan investigation and on January 24, 2017, the Senate Intelligence Committee opened a bipartisan investigation into the matter.

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which represents 17 American intelligence agencies, along with the Department of Homeland Security both stated that their findings indicated that Russia did hack into the Democratic National Committee and leaked those documents to WikiLeaks in an effort to discredit and denigrate Democratic Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. The former Director of National Intelligence, James R. Clapper, confirmed and testified in front of a Senate Committee that Russia’s interference with our election went beyond just hacking and included Russian influence on false information that intended to mislead the American public, also known as propaganda, with the promotion of “Fake News” on major national media outlets and social media. During this discovery, other intelligence agencies began to investigate a possible connection between Donald Trump and the Kremlin to include financial and political ties. The information that has been gathered throughout this investigation has been incriminating to the new President Donald Trump, his administration, and the Russian government. Unfortunately, the Trump administration has sidetracked the American public with other alarming distractions such as his highly controversial immigration bans, the new GOP bill that would replace Obamacare knocking millions of Americans off of their healthcare plans, and his 38 signed executive orders in just 63 days into his presidency. There have been new developments into the Russian interference saga which questions our own government, our leadership, and unfortunately our American legacy in the world.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017, Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee Devin Nunes, learned of new information regarding communications between Trump and his associates that may have been picked up after the election by intelligence agencies conducting surveillance of foreign targets. This information has to do with Trump’s allegations regarding the previous administration’s “wire-tapping” of Donald Trump and his associates which were proven false by FBI Director James Comey. Chairman Nunes did not share the new information with his House Intelligence Committee, which is bipartisan, as it was the appropriate thing to do but instead personally rushed to the White House to tell President Donald Trump after talking to the press and speaker of the house Paul Ryan first and without talking to any of the Democrats in his committee. Chairman Nunes did talk to the Republicans of his committee to advise them on the new information, yet he ignored their advice to discuss it first with Democrat and high ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee Adam Schiff. The summation of this act by Chairman Devin Nunes to rush and tell the White House personally suggests that whatever may be going on with any investigation, whether it is Obama’s supposed “wire-tapping” or the investigation into Russian interference with our election, cannot be trusted with the leadership of any of the bipartisan intelligence committees. These intelligence committees may be bipartisan but it is not acting “bipartisan.”

This has become an effort for Republican leaders to get and hide information from the other party without going through appropriate procedures first within their own committees in an inappropriate action to advise a Republican president who is currently under investigation. This poses a conflict of interest! Chairman Devin Nunes of the House Intelligence Committee is part of a Donald Trump transition team executive committee so it’s fitting and “suspicious” that he would exclude Democrats on any new findings just to personally rush and tell his puppet masters. What is the administration trying to hide? What information are they trying to suppress? Are the leaders of our government willing participants in a Russian election interference in an effort to keep U.S. Republicans in power to aggressively push their agenda on the American people? Why is America now in bed with Russia who has always been America’s main adversary for good reasons? These are questions that the American people should be asking and these are questions and actions that provide probable cause for a non-partisan independent investigation into the Russian interference regarding our elections. The powers that be should set up and support an independent investigation without the bias and conflict of interests our new administration has put into place for obvious reasons. Conflicts of interests penetrate deep within our new government setup and with these new alarming actions on the part of high-ranking members of committees which were set up to provide a bipartisan check on insider government corruption are failing to do what they’re supposed to do to protect the American people as well as the legacy of our country on the world stage.

Unfortunately, Chairman Devin Nunes recent controversy is not the only new controversial red flags being raised. On the morning of Friday, March 24, 201,7 Congressman Adam Schiff, a high ranking democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, had a news conference to announce and voice his dissatisfaction with Chairman Devin Nunes decision to cancel an open hearing regarding the investigation into Russian interference in our recent election. Aside from Chairman of an Intelligence Committee running and telling the president first of new details on an ongoing investigation regarding the president, he decides to cancel an open hearing related to the panel’s investigation of Russian interference in the presidential election which was expected to occur Tuesday. The panel includes witnesses James R. Clapper (Former Director of National Intelligence who recently testified in front of a Senate Committee regarding details of Russian’s interference), Sally Yates (Former Deputy Attorney General), and John Brennan (Former C.I.A. Director). This decision by Chairman Devin Nunes is an attempt to now exclude the American public on investigation proceedings regarding Russian interference in our election. The American people should be aware of what is going on and closing the doors to the public because the Republicans think it is “politically damaging” is no reason to exclude the public. We have a right to know! Chairman Devin Nunes told Hannity on Fox News recently that quote, “I had a duty and an obligation to tell Trump of surveillance Intel.” This to me puts into question where his loyalty stands and it isn’t with the American people, or even America itself for aiding and abetting a foreign adversarial power like Russia. If you obstruct investigations into foreign interferences in our American democracy, then you are in fact aiding and abetting and is considered TREASON.

There are many red flags that have happened in a matter of four months beginning with FBI Director James Comey’s decision to announce the reopening of the Clinton email investigation that iced her election just eleven days before Election Day resulting in it being nothing at all.  Whether or not FBI Director Comey was a knowing or unknowing participant to harming Clinton’s electability and potential presidency, there are trust issues from the American public regarding our own government and something is definitely “fishy.” Actions by those in power to obstruct an investigation into Russian interference in our election using politics is the reason why we ask for an independent investigation into Russian meddling and our government should oblige our demands if they expect to stay in power. The right sight of the spectrum insists that this is an attempt by the left side to “throw a fit” regarding the outcome of this 2016 Presidential Election but what seems more alarming is that they forgot to be Americans First. Any indication that a foreign power is manipulating our American democracy should not be a partisan attack against each other but a motivational motive to get behind one another to seek answers regarding our defenses. If Russia could manipulate our democracy who is to say those seeking to destroy America could not do the same with ally help resulting in our downfall. We have to stand by one another and we have to be Americans first, not Republican or Democrat, but AMERICANS FIRST. A self-proclaimed “evangelical” party who is currently in power in all branches of government cannot make a deal with the devil and expect to have credibility, it’s time for the Republican Party to set themselves apart from the questionable actions of this administration and do the right thing to preserve democracy, their party, and our American legacy. Character will be tested and leaders in both parties should carefully choose their side in history.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Something ‘fishy’ going on in Washington, D.C.”

1. Keith Alexander on March 25th, 2017 7:16 am

Hello,
    I voted for Obama twice. I voted for Trump also. The choice is yours as to the slant of your news cast. You seam to want to wish things into being, I think I can, I think I can.
    I will support America, just as I did with Obama. I will also remember the money paid out to Iran and other slight of hand that lead me to Trump.

[Reply]

2. Deana on March 26th, 2017 12:51 am

Finally, someone explained what’s going on in a way I can understand! Thank you Erica.

[Reply]

Pmover Reply:

Unfortunately the above dissertation is riddled with conjecture, opinion and sadly a a fools errand of trying to convince you that our government is somehow above turning its tools and weapons against its own people for political gain.

It also turns a blind eye to the political warfare my hero Barack Obama engaged in.
    When he weaponized the IRS against the tea party people it was clear he had no problem with political warfare.

No matter how misguided and quacky I think many of those folks are, it is not the government’s job to nullify or quiet their voices. My vote, your.vote does that.

What Americans should be most concerned with is not whether Russia tried to tip an election (they’ve been doing that for decades) but rather our government reaching a point where it believes we are like children with matches who can not be trusted “properly” exercise our vote. The minute a small group of people believe they know what’s best for those they rule, the minute free speech and thought is being squelched, is the death spiral of the republic.

I’m a liberal through and through but I credit Trump with one very important thing. He woke up a polically lazy, naive and indifferent country.

There is definitely something fishy going on, I just don’t think it’s with Trump. I think its a huge bureaucracy, completely and totally entrenched and hell bent on preserving itself at all cost. We the people clearly were not capable of holding the book of matches (our vote) with responsibility so the state had to take extreme measures to protect us from ourselves and the virus that is Donald Trump.

Maybe just maybe that foolish, vulgar outsider who owes them nothing and has from the very beginning threatened to put an end to their ways, is exactly what the doctored ordered.

[Reply]

• Something ‘fishy’ going on in Washington, D.C.

Opinion

Headphones relate: ‘Do not talk to me’

Opinion

Birth Control: In Odessa high school pregnancy socially preferred

Opinion

Shortage of face-to-face communications courses impacts students

Opinion

Politics as Usual: Can Americans learn to agree to disagree?

Opinion

‘Bathroom Bill’ short-sighted

Opinion

Engaging presidential speech: Actions to follow?

Opinion

Pardon me, but I am one of ‘those people’

Opinion

For the blue among the red

Opinion

Donald Trump, no gentleman

Opinion

Political Ontology