Artist to combine concepts of painting, novel writing

Guillermo Arreola will give a presentation on the evening of April 25 on his works.

Kelsie Clifton, Features Writer and Columnist

Today, April 26th, at 6:30 PM in Library Lecture Hall LL001, Mexican painter and novelist, Guillermo Arreola will be giving a lecture on the novel and the oil and everyone is invited.

Arreola is the author of La Venganza De Los Pájaros , Traición a Domicilio, and Fierros Bajo El Agua. He has published poetry, articles, and narrative in Mexico’s newspapers and magazines. Arreola has participated in several solo exhibitions both in Mexico and in museums in Los Angeles, California as an artist.

As a Mexican painter and novelist, Arreola believes it is not easy to identify what distinguishes one’s own artistic work but in his case what they call style is perhaps determined in part by his interest in literature, painting and an attempt to establish a dialogue between the two.

“At the same time, I’m working in an aesthetic that springs from and deals with economic inequality, racism, misogyny, and homophobia. I guess ethnicity and heritage play a role in most of writing and works of art, but sometimes it is beyond me where are their trails,” he said.

“In my novels and stories, the multiple voices are fundamental. The characters move through atmospheres that are oppressive and very violent, and that speak of their marginal condition in society. Much of it has to do with my own cultural identity, my social origin and the history of my family and the place where I was raised. The same happens, through colors and forms, with my painting and pictorial work.”

For Mexican literature, the novel and the oil forms part of a literary trend of the 1920s when oil was part of the Mexican identity.

Arreola does not claim to know it all but hopes to raise interest in Mexican literature through the theme of Petroleum in those attending.

“Literature and art have a dialogue, confronting and recognizing one another. For my part, I have a great enthusiasm to recognize the transcendence of some books with the theme of petroleum have achieved over the years,” Arreola stated

“Of course, I don’t pretend to have the answer or resolution to anything. I am not a professor or a theorist. More than anything I am a self-taught writer and artist. If I succeed in approaching or raising sympathy or interest in Mexican literature through the theme of petroleum, I will be very satisfied.”

If you have any questions about the event tomorrow, contact Dr. Antonio Moreno at [email protected] or (432)-552-3306.