Lone Star Conference lauds UTPB softball standouts

Cindy Juarez, pitcher for the Falcons baseball team, was named to the  second team at the Lone Star Conference. She is a freshman and hails from El Paso, Texas.

Cindy Juarez, pitcher for the Falcons baseball team, was named to the second team at the Lone Star Conference. She is a freshman and hails from El Paso, Texas.

Staff Reports, Staff Reporter

SAN ANGELO, Texas – The Lone Star Conference recognized its softball stars recently as the postseason were announced

Photo courtesy of UTPB Athletics.
Melissa Zuniga, who hails from Anaheim, California, was named to the LSC third team during a recent awards ceremony. She is a senior at UTPB.

by league officials at the championship banquet.

LSC champion Angelo State had eight players receive All-LSC distinction including a league-high seven first-team honors.
      ASU, which won the conference title for the seventh time with a 26-3 record, was represented on the All-LSC first team by Taegan Kirk, Brandy Marlett, Kenedy Urbany, Danae Bina, Courtney Barnhill, and Madison Greenwell.
      The Rambelles claimed several special awards as well.  Marlett was named Pitcher of the Year, Barnhill earned Freshman of the Year honors and Travis Scott picked up his sixth Coach of the Year award.
      Texas Woman’s Nicole Nordie picked up Player of the Year acclaim, while Texas A&M-Commerce’s Mariah Jameyson was tabbed Newcomer of the Year.
      West Texas A&M had 10 players named to the all-conference team with six first-team honorees. Cameron, TWU, A&M-C, and Texas A&M-Kingsville each had five players recognized.  Tarleton State had four, while Eastern New Mexico, Midwestern State, and UT Permian Basin had two each and Western New Mexico one.
      Overall, 50 student-athletes were honored by the all-conference program, with a player from all 11 LSC teams.  The awards are voted upon by the league coaches, who determined a 20-player first team by position, along with second and third teams, consisting of 15 players, respectively, regardless of positions.