Headphones relate: ‘Do not talk to me’

Darrell+Johnson+with+his+trusty+Jeep.+He+was+a+student+in+the+%22Writing+for++Media%22+communications+course+in+spring+2017.+It+is+being+offered+again+in+Falll+2017.+
Darrell Johnson with his trusty Jeep. He was a student in the

Darrell Johnson with his trusty Jeep. He was a student in the "Writing for Media" communications course in spring 2017. It is being offered again in Falll 2017.

Darrel Johnson, Guest Columnist

One might remember a time when a walk across a college campus included stopping to talk to a fellow student or even walking in a group, discussing the new movie that came out. Now, sadly, more and more students are using headphones while commuting to class. If one was to stop and take a moment to observe the student walking on campus, it is blatant that camaraderie has been lost and is nowhere to be found.

College is about more than mere learning and earning a degree. It is about building relationships with individuals that help propel one throughout life. While walking around with headphones, one basically inflates a bubble that says, “Do not talk to me.” While a student could argue that listening to audio textbooks while commuting is an efficient use of time, missing out on connecting with peers could be detrimental to one’s collegiate success. Learning how to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger could help him when in the work force or even when looking to hire a new employee. These interactions are crucial to gaining the experiences that one grows. If a person is wearing headphones and thus, not paying attention to who is around him, he could miss the person who might become his best friend or marriage partner.

A different outlook on headphones in college is the safety aspect. If a student wearing headphones is crossing the street and cannot hear the traffic guard yelling a truck is coming, the truck could easily strike the student and be fatal. By wearing headphones, the odds increase

much more that a golf cart or even a cyclist could bump into the student, due to not being able to hear. Most students turn the volume up past a level that is safe, which leads to hearing damage that is irreparable.

With the present epidemic of headphones, the camaraderie and overall cheer on campuses is beginning to die. Stop and smell the roses or talk to that fellow classmate who is always walking alone. Who knows, he might just become your best friend.