Falcon Media

Researcher relishes infusion into geophysical program

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin has received a $255,000 grant from the UT System STARs Program to hire a geophysicist, Sumit Verma. Verma, is a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Wyoming in the Department of Geology and Geophysics.

Verma will join the UTPB College of Arts and Sciences as an assistant professor of geology in August. He completed his PhD in geophysics on seismic data conditioning and reprocessing for quantitative interpretation of unconventional reservoirs.

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin has received a $255,000 grant from the UT System STARs Program to hire a geophysicist, Sumit Verma. Verma, is a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Wyoming in the Department of Geology and Geophysics. Verma will join the UTPB College of Arts and Sciences as an assistant professor of geology in August. He completed his PhD in geophysics on seismic data conditioning and reprocessing for quantitative interpretation of unconventional reservoirs.

Kelsie Clifton, Features Writer and Columnist

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) recently received a grant from the University of Texas System STARs program which allowed them to hire geophysicist, Sumit Verma who is a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Wyoming in the Department of Geology and Geophysics.

As Verma Joins the UTPB College of Arts and Sciences as assistant professor of geology in August, he is looking forward to teaching students who are excited to learn new things.

“Teaching is my passion and this will be my first assistant professor position, in which I will teach and research. I am looking forward to teaching classes and interact with students who are eager to learn,”  Verma said in a recent interview.

Dr. Michael Zavada, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, believes that Verma will be an asset to the Geology program and his experience will be beneficial.

“Sumit Verma will be a welcome addition to the Geology program. His experience with oil industry sponsored projects will reinforce the mission of this program and serve us well in the future,” Zavada stated.

Verma completed his Ph.D. in geophysics on seismic data conditioning and reprocessing for quantitative interpretation of unconventional reservoirs and says that his inspiration behind becoming a geophysicist came from attraction to the field that he had as a child.

“I have been fascinated to see the applicability of physics in real life, since my school days. This led me to my undergrad in physics. Geological features like rivers and mountains have also made me interested to understand the process of earth. I chose geophysics, as it is the perfect combination of geology and physics. In geophysics, principals of physics are applied to understand the subsurface geology,” Verma stated.

He is anticipating the renovations in the UTPB Geology Lab that are scheduled to be completed in December and believes that the changes made will be beneficial to him during his time at UT Permian Basin.

“I am extremely excited about the laboratory renovation. We may call it the geoscience lab. This geoscience lab will have all the things that I need for my research—as I work mostly on petroleum geoscience, and my research is related to seismic data analysis. Seismic is the most common technique used in the oils and gas exploration industry for 3-D (Three-Dimensional) subsurface mapping. In simple terms, seismic data helps to identify a potential oil/gas reservoir.  Usually, seismic data have huge volumes (from megabytes to terabytes). My research will also include processes like 5D (Five-Dimensional) interpolation which requires high computation time and I will have modern high-speed computers in the geoscience lab which can handle big data volumes and can have low run time.”

According to another source, UTPB Director of Communication and Special Projects Travis Woodward, UT Permian Basin is working to expand faculty and active research programs during the next few years to serve the growing number of students interested in the Geology, Petroleum and Mechanical Engineering programs.

“Geologists, Petroleum and Mechanical Engineers deal with some of the most fascinating and interesting tasks in their work. Jobs for students with these degrees, especially in the petroleum industry, are lucrative. Smart students of today’s generation wish to take up the challenging and lucrative jobs,” Woodward said. “Our Geology, Petroleum and Mechanical Engineering programs at UTPB are growing day by day, as we have faculty who have more than 20 years of industry experience, and we have management who is able to bring in such experienced people,” she added.

Dr. Daniel Heimmermann, who is the vice president of UTPB and provost, happily endorses Verma and is looking forward to the impact he will have on the growth of our growing geology program.

“We are pleased to welcome Dr. Sumit Verma to UT Permian Basin and our geology program as the university’s first University of Texas System STARs faculty member. The UT System funding for Dr. Verma’s laboratory will support faculty and student research in our growing geology program,” he said.