“Hedwig” fans: The show is in Midland

Hedwig+%28Mitchell+Hurricane+Smith+and+Yitzhak+%28Wendi+Smith%29+in+a+tender+moment+during+%22Hedwig+and+the+Angry+Inch.%22+
Hedwig (Mitchell Hurricane Smith and Yitzhak (Wendi Smith) in a tender moment during

Hedwig (Mitchell Hurricane Smith and Yitzhak (Wendi Smith) in a tender moment during "Hedwig and the Angry Inch."

Cassie Rivera

Cassie Rivera

Staff Reports

Students may know of the cult smash “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” from the 2001 movie starring John Cameron Mitchell.  Now another actor with three names that include Mitchell will take the stage for four performances only this weekend. Formerly starring as Sweeny Todd in Midland Community Theatre’s recent production of “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” Mitchell Hurricane Smith will take the “stage’’ at the Kamiposi Art Gallery at 7:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Oct. 14 and 15. The art gallery is a bit tricky to find, located at 510 S. Big Spring (sharing a building with E&D Tire Champions). Nonetheless, the gallery instantly transforms the viewer into another time and place due to clever lighting and sets. The GBF Production opens in East Berlin with the “internationally ignored song stylist” Hedwig describing his years as Hansel before meeting an American GI who insists that Hedwig undergo a sex change so that he can leave Berlin as a woman and bride. Hansel ends up alone in Kansas (ironically where Smith grew up) as the newly named Hedwig following a botched sex-change surgery. The show’s central metaphor of origins of sexual identity is based on Plato’s Symposium.

“You’re not really going to see anything else like this in Midland,” said co-star Wendi Fuller who dons a mustache as Yitzhak. Fuller earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Musical Theatre at West Texas A &M and was recently in MCT’s “Urine town.” She noted, “Being in this show has been on my bucket list since I saw it in Dallas a year ago. Despite dealing with unfamiliar facial hair, (“You constantly have hair in your mouth,” she said), she has the opportunity to channel her “inner Pat Benatar”).

A blend of punk rock and rock and roll, Smith describes the show as not a typical musical but rather more of attending a live concert with monologs

Hedwig with a film of the Berlin Wall behind him.

between the songs. Both Smith and Fuller agreed that identity and “trading places” are central themes of the show. “The last scene is emotional,” Fuller said.

Walking with grace in high heels (as he experienced before in MCT’s production of “La Cage aux Folles”) with glitter eyeshadow and trademark iconic wig and cape during a recent dress rehearsal, Smith said the show deals “with intense subject matter. Just come with an open mind and an open heart.”

Songs include favorites, “Origins of Love,” “Wicked Little Town,” and a rousing rendition of “Sugar Daddy” by Smith. At the end of “Midnight Radio” don’t forget to “Lift up your hands.”

The script was written by John Cameron Smith and “Hedwig” was performed off-Broadway but was revived on Broadway winning the Tony Award for Best Revival of a Musical, starring Neil Patrick Harris. Smith saw a recent Broadway version starring Darren Criss.

The band includes Scott Aycock on keyboard, guitarist Dennis Morris, Sara Daulong, bass, and Wynton McNary on drums. Hairstylist and makeup artist is Jena Tumlin and John- Michael Aleman is costume consultant.

Tickets are $15. The show is recommended for ages 18 and older. Outside beverages may be brought into the gallery. For more information view facebook.com/gbfproductions. The show is about 90 minutes with no intermission.