‘Miss Peregrine’ somewhat brutal, not a keeper

Bernadette Adkins, Entertainment and Staff Reporter

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is interesting. Parts of it are good, if not fantastic and worth a watch, but other parts of it are slow, boring, or just downright disturbing. Overall it’s a decent enough movie to watch in theaters, but not a movie you’d buy for watching at home.

Jake (Asa Butterfield) grew up hearing tales from his grandfather Abe (Terence Stamp) about a children’s home back in Whales where he grew up with a series of very peculiar children. After his grandpa’s death, Jake travels to Whales to see the old house where he finds that his grandpa’s tales were true. He meets the titular Miss Peregrine (Eva Green) and her children (kept forever young in a time loop), and must work together with them to thwart the evil Barron (Samuel L. Jackson).

The Tim Burton movie starts off slow, and a lot of the characters (Jake’s father especially) are just downright unlikeable. It takes Jake awhile to even get to Miss Peregrine’s house and most of the beginning, except for the few plot points, is skippable. When Jake finally gets to Miss Peregrine’s the story finally sets off, and we get to see the characters the movie is actually about.  A lot of the kids are charming and decent enough actors, but they’re a bit forgettable. A lot of them don’t get much individual screen time to develop their characters except for Emma (Ella Purnell) whose role seems to be giving Jake a reason to stay. Jake’s role seems to be bringing the other kids out of the shadows and teaching them to fight against the people who want to harm them, but doesn’t seem to grow much as a character.

The effects in the movie were really good outside of a few obviously fake animals that appear in the movie. The fight scene near the end of the movie was well executed and looked especially amazing. But the effects also had a downside as some scenes, because of the quality of the CGI, were rather disturbing, Enoch (Finlay MacMillan) showing off his powers and the bad guys eating children’s eyeballs especially.

One thing to note is that the use of the time loop makes everything, the ending especially, kind of confusing. Time travel is best enjoyed when you don’t think too hard about it, and that goes for this movie as well. If you don’t think about the logistics of it, it’s a cute ending. If you think too hard about it, your head just might explode.

Overall the movie is decent. It has a lot of good scenes, some boring scenes, and some scenes that are just downright uncomfortable to watch. When you add all those elements together, you get a passable movie that can be enjoyed on a first viewing, but doesn’t do much to make you want to see it over again.