‘Hot Jobs’ in medical field draws crowd of students

Susie+Dominguez+expounds+on+%22Hot+Jobs%22+in+the+medical+fields+at+a+recent+Career+Center+event.+

Rafael Ricciardi

Susie Dominguez expounds on “Hot Jobs” in the medical fields at a recent Career Center event.

Staff Reports , Staff Reports

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) Multipurpose room was packed with pre-med and nursing students on February 2 as the UTPB Career Center hosted health educator Susie Dominguez from the Permian Basin Area Health Education Center.  Dominguez, who is also a registered respiratory therapist, captivated her audience by explaining the different types of pathways available within the medical field.

Dominguez disseminated her “Hot Jobs” books to all in attendance and explained educational requirements, salaries and demand for a multitude of health care careers.  She explained that with the advent of maturing baby boomers who now comprise more of the population than any of their successors, the health care field will continue to grow exponentially.  Labor market analyst Mick Covington, who spoke to students the week before, also confirmed Dominguez’s assertions regarding the projected growth of health care in Texas.

“The seminar was very informative and helpful in nature,” noted UTPB student Arlen Reyes.  UTPB Career Center Director Tony Love statedCareer Center-healthcare students that May 2016 nursing graduates averaged $60,000 at the time of graduation. Everyone in attendance was treated to fajitas and an array of door prizes.