Students go live on radio as media course project

Multi-Media+Managing+Editor+of+the+Mesa+Journal+News%2C+Ana+Ruth+Lugo+Mejia%2C+stands+by+%28left%29+as++fellow+UTPB+student+Cristina+Caldera+speaks+to+%22Telemundo%22+radio+host+Patsy+Casas+in+the+NewsWest+9+studios.+The+students+were+interning+as+part+of+the+UTPB+%22Writing+for+the+Media%22+course%2C+a+Communications+course+at+UTPB.+

Myra Salcedo

Multi-Media Managing Editor of the Mesa Journal News, Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia, stands by (left) as fellow UTPB student Cristina Caldera speaks to “Telemundo” radio host Patsy Casas in the NewsWest 9 studios. The students were interning as part of the UTPB “Writing for the Media” course, a Communications course at UTPB.

Staff Reports , Staff Reporter

As part of an internship assignment for the “Writing for the Media” class that is a required element of the course, Mesa Journal Managing Editor Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia (and fellow UTPB student Cristina Caldera) had the opportunity to “shadow” radio personality Patsy Casas.  Casas is a bilingual radio reporter for Radio 104.7, and she also appears on Telemundo. “Throughout the day she was kind enough to show us what she does on a daily basis. She even interviewed us on the radio and asked about our class and what we looked forward to doing in our lives,” Mejia said. “It was a very exciting learning experience. It is amazing the effort, passion, and dedication that goes behind a radio and TV personality.” The “Writing for the Media” course, a communication course with internships, will be offered again in Fall 2017 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 a.m.-9:15 a.m.  For more information, contact Dr. Myra Salcedo at [email protected]