Student finds some dogs labeled as ‘too aggressive’ for apartment living

Is your dog on this list?

Aggressive+puppy+alert.+This+golden+retriever+is+on+the+banned+dog+list+for+various+area+Midland+and+Odessa+apartments.+
Aggressive puppy alert. This golden retriever is on the banned dog list for various area Midland and Odessa apartments.

Brianna Edwards, Guest Columnist from "Writing for the Media" course

Recently I have been looking into leasing an apartment. When I talked to each apartment agent they informed me their apartment complex was pet-friendly, then let me know that there was a breed restriction list. Being that I had never lived in an apartment before, I had no idea what a breed restriction list was. It turns out, only select breeds are welcomed at “pet-friendly” apartments. This went on for the next four apartment complex’s that I visited. On the breed restrictions list were dogs such as: Golden Retrievers, Pit bulls, German Shepherds, Dalmatians, Chow Chows, Huskies, and Terriers. I asked the ladies why these dogs were on the list and their reply was “Because these dogs are aggressive.” This is what led me to my opinion that there should not be breeding restrictions for apartments.

Many people own dogs prior to moving into apartments. How are owners supposed to know that apartments have restrictions on the type of dog they own, or have been owning for years now? It is both an inconvenience to the owner and the dog. Many dogs could be put out on the street or live the rest of their lives in a shelter all because an apartment fears the dog’s breed is aggressive. Imagine if an owner has one dog on the breed restriction list, and one that’s not. Separating the two dogs is like separating brothers and sister from each other and putting one in foster care.  The dog should be given a chance first. If any bad action from the dog is conducted or complaints are filed, then the dog can be kicked out. Dogs should be treated just like humans when deciding their rights for apartments, because they are living there too. Some humans are considered aggressive, but there is not a restriction list with their name on it.

After researching some of the breeds on the restriction list, the “aggressive dog” stereotype for some breeds were proved wrong. According to dogtime.com, “The Golden Retriever is one of the most popular dog breeds in the U.S. The breed’s friendly, tolerant attitude makes him a fabulous family pet.” This does not sound like a dog who should spend its life being put out on the street, because they are considered “aggressive” by apartment management. After searching dogtime.com for Dalmatians, it said this breed “loves to be a part of everything his family does.” Knowing that a Dalmatian could be torn apart from his loving family because they need to move to an apartment, breaks hearts. Dog time.com rated terriers a 5/5 for adjusts well to apartment living, and 5/5 for being kid friendly dogs. If kids can handle these dogs, adults can too. There is no reason for these dogs to be on the breed restriction list.

Mental floss.com rated Savannah, Bengal, Ocicat, Chausie, Cheetoh, Serengeti, and Pixie bobcats to be the top seven aggressive cats to have. None of these cats were on the “selective cat list,” due to the fact that a cat list doesn’t exist.

Not only are apartments discriminating against certain dogs, they are discriminating against all dogs by making a list just for them. These dogs on the list are not always aggressive. All dogs are innocent until proven guilty, they just need a chance.