UT Austin mourns student lost to violence, former UT president who passes away

UT+Student+Harrison+Brown+was+stabbed+to+death+on+May+1+by+a+fellow+UT+student+wielding+a+knife.+Three+other+students+were++injured+but+are+recuperating.+
UT Student Harrison Brown was stabbed to death on May 1 by a fellow UT student wielding a knife. Three other students were  injured but are recuperating.

UT Student Harrison Brown was stabbed to death on May 1 by a fellow UT student wielding a knife. Three other students were injured but are recuperating.

UT System Chancellor Bill McRaven, UT System Chancellor

Graduation season, one of the happiest times of the year at UT institutions, is upon us.  But much of our joy this year is tempered by sadness, particularly at UT Austin, where we have recently lost two cherished members of our Longhorn family.

As you know, on May 1, an act of violence claimed the life of UT freshman Harrison Brown, an extraordinarily talented young man who surely had a bright future ahead of him. I remain in awe of the UT Austin community for its outpouring of love and support to the Brown family and to the brave students who are still recuperating from their injuries.

More recently, we lost one of the most respected and beloved giants in higher education when Dr. Peter Flawn passed away this past weekend.  Peter served as president of UT San Antonio from 1973 to 1977, and then at UT Austin from 1979 to 1985.  Peter was a good friend to me, and more importantly, he dedicated his life to making sure young people like Harrison Brown had an opportunity to get a great education.

Both Harrison and Peter are sorely missed, and I want to offer my condolences to all of their loved ones and my thanks to you for your prayers and wishes.