Pink Floyd ‘Immersion” rocks the Basin

%22Brit+Floyd%2C%22+the+cover+band+for+Pink+Floyd+light+up+the+stage+in+blue+for+their+recent+performance+at+The+Wagner+Noel+Performing+Ats+Center.+

"Brit Floyd," the cover band for Pink Floyd light up the stage in blue for their recent performance at The Wagner Noel Performing Ats Center.

Howard C. Marks

Howard C. Marks

Howard Marks, UTPB Library Director

More “Brit Floyd” stage light show.

UTPB Library Director Howard C. Marks

Endorsed by the electrifying 1960s-70s inspired psychedelic band “Pink Floyd’s “legendary guitarist David Gilmour, cover band BRIT FLOYD is touring all over the United States this summer and just made a pit-stop at the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center on Thursday, June 15 in Midland.

Come to think of it, it’s nice to get a perspective out here in remote West Texas from all the way “across the pond.”  The previous night they appeared at the Moody Theater in Austin. The graphics above the stage referred back to the year the Floyd song they were playing was first released. When I arrived with two buddies, we were instantly upgraded from the orchestra to the floor due to the lower weeknight attendance of the event, and subsequently, the management wisely trying to fill the lower section of the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center. Following is the “set list” for the 2017 World Tour. “Cluster One,” “What Do You Want from Me?” “Welcome to the Machine,” “Coming Back to Life.” “Another Brick in the Wall Part 2,” “Lost for Words,” “One of These Days,” “Us and Them,” “See Emily Play,” “Space,” “Time,” “Any Colour You Like,” “Brain Damage,” “Eclipse,” “Astronomy Domine.”

Encores:

“Shine On Your Crazy Diamond, Pt. 2”

“Hey You”

“Comfortably Numb”

“Run Like Hell”

“Wish You Were Here”

As an added note, it was quite nice the performers agreed to greet the public who attended the event after the show. I mean, how often do you get to meet the band after a show, unless it’s a backstage pass? Brit Floyd was founded in Liverpool, England, back in 2011, and all its members still reside there. They maintain a fully functioning website at: http://www.britfloyd.com/

The following is a recent review from Austin City Limits Live:

“The hotly anticipated rock event of the year returns, as BRIT FLOYD brings the music of Pink Floyd to life once again with its lavish new stage show, ‘Pink Floyd Immersion World Tour 2017.’ The spectacle of a Pink Floyd concert experience is truly recaptured in high-definition sound and with a stunning million dollar light show and state of the art video design.

As well as performing the favorite moments from The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Division Bell, Brit Floyd will also pay special tribute to the Animals album, in its 40th anniversary year, with a show-stopping rendition of ‘Dogs’, as well as a host of other Pink Floyd musical gems.”

The BRIT FLOYD show has truly become a phenomenon, widely regarded as the world’s greatest live tribute to Pink Floyd. Faithfully recreating the scale and pomp of the final 1994 Division Bell tour, complete with circle screen and multiple moving light design, lasers, inflatables and theatrics, a BRIT FLOYD show really is as close as fans will ever get to eexperiencethe magnificence of a Pink Floyd show live.

More than a tribute, it’s as good as they say. Believe the hype and don’t miss it!

The new ‘Pink Floyd Immersion’ show promises to be Brit Floyd’s most ambitious and best production yet.”

‘The perfect rock show’ – LA Times

‘Magnificent… a musical masterpiece’ – Ticketmaster

I was fortunate enough to see the real Pink Floyd live back in March ’94 at Oakland Coliseum on Division Bell tour, which would sadly be their last. Nobody knew it at the time. So picture a sold out stadium with no opening band. Just three hours of unrelenting, perfected and magnificent music with a twenty-minute intermission. With the very highest quality of sound and lasers, it blew me away and still they reign as one of the top rock concerts I have been to, which has been among hundreds.

Meanwhile, this summer also former bassist Roger Waters has just taken to the road and is currently doing his “Us & Them” national arena tour, which will be stopping at the American Airlines Arena in Dallas on July 3. Water’s music tends to get more into political issues, including currently Trump and Nazi themes. The Wall. Rebellion and anarchy. Yet he plays all the PF hits from their massive catalog of songs to choose from. Truth be told, the music is awesome no matter the message. It has real substance and soul and story lines. Something that is lacking in today’s rock genres. Rock n’ roll isn’t dead yet.