UTPB grad with MA in Spanish earns PhD from Texas Tech University

Rolando+J.+Diaz+is+the+first+UTPB+Master%27s+Degree+student+in+Spanish+to+graduate+with+a+PhD+in+Spanish.+He+stands+with+Dr.+Rhina+Toruno%2C+formerly+of+UTPB.+

Rolando J. Diaz is the first UTPB Master’s Degree student in Spanish to graduate with a PhD in Spanish. He stands with Dr. Rhina Toruno, formerly of UTPB.

Staff Reports, Staff Reporter

After graduating from The University of Texas of the Permian Basin with an MA in Bilingual Education/English as a Second Language (2008) and an MA in Spanish (2010), Rolando Diaz started his doctoral studies at Texas Tech University in Spanish in August of 2010. In the ensuing years, he took the course work for the degree, taught various levels of Spanish (SPAN 1507, 2301, 2302, 3303) at the Texas Tech main campus in Lubbock, spent the summer of 2013 at the Texas Tech University Sevilla campus, where he taught SPAN 1607 and 2607 in May of 2017, years he defended his dissertation titled “Transnational Noir: Chicano and Catalan Elements in the Detective Fiction of Lucha Corpi and Alicia Giménez Bartlett.” Rolando graduated with his Ph.D. In Spanish Literature from Texas Tech University on August 12, 2017. Diaz is the first MA Spanish student from UTPB to receive a Ph.D. in Spanish.