Michael Jackson tribute evokes memories

Courtesy Photo.

The recent Michael Jackson tribute concert wowed the audience at the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center on Thursday, Aug. 24.

Staff Reports , Staff Reporter

Courtesy Photo
Michael Barreto was pleasantly surprised by the Michael Jackson tribute concert presented at the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center.

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin students, staff and faculty recently received a gift in the way of attending a Michael Jackson concert tribute Friday, Aug. 25 at the Wagner Noel Performing Arts Center. UTPB Literature and Language Senior Lecturer Dr.  Myra Salcedo noted (in English 1301 and 1302 classrooms) while exploring the rhetorical appeals of ethos, pathos, and logos that Michael Jackson maintained ethos as a superb entertainer (dancer and singer) but lost his ethos–or credibility–in his personal life. Thus, a celebrity may maintain ethos in one area and not in another.

Nonetheless, when tickets were offered to the UTPB community free of charge, Salcedo encouraged students to go to experience the tribute to the late entertainer. UTPB Business Major and vocalist Jacyree “Jay” Webbs described the concert as “the closest thing to the King of Pop, truly an amazing experience to take a trip down memory lane.”

Fellow UTPB vocalist Michael Barretto stated: “MJ Live was beyond what I expected it to be. At first, my friend Jacryee wanted me to go and I was a little hesitant, and it wasn’t because I didn’t listen to Michael Jackson’s music, but that someone singing his songs dressed like him, did not set right… he was a legend. But after talking to me some more, I finally decided that I would go and the only thing that I can say is: I LOVED IT. I cried halfway through after it hit me that this great artist had passed away and to say what he left behind was great music is an understatement. If I could I would go to another show like this one, I would go right now.”