Seeking an ingenue, an upcoming star for UTPB’s fall theatre production

This+is+a+photo+from+a+show+in+Seattle%2C+Washington.+Have+you+got+this+look%3F+Not+too+late+to+audition%2C+if+you+hurry%21+
This is a photo from a show in Seattle, Washington. Have you got this look? Not too late to audition, if you hurry!

Staff Writer, Staff Reports

Are you a young woman with an ingenue type of personality? Do you have the cunning of “I Love Lucy” and the heart of Karl Marx? Calling any UTPB female student in her 20’s with a vivacious personality: this may be your show!

The UTPB Performing Arts Department has cast the show “They Won’t Pay? We Won’t Pay!”  an amazing comedy/drama, and more. There is just one stellar performer left to cast, a young woman with a vibrant personality. Dr. Shawn Watson,  a director, and actor in addition to teaching, will offer individual readings of any student that fits the part who is interested. To schedule a reading appointment call  Dr. Watson at 432-553-0012.

In 1974, celebrated performer and playwright Dario Fo premiered his absurdist, highly political play We Won’t Pay! We Won’t Pay! A few months later, several Italian women were arrested for stealing food from a supermarket. The prosecutor in the case attempted to draw Fo into the trial as an accessory to the thefts because his play featured as its inciting incident a mass-theft from a supermarket.
Thankfully, the judge sagely absolved Fo of any responsibility for these crimes. Fo’s depiction of a hunger strike orchestrated by a group of poverty-stricken Italians may have the flavor of a documentary, but it is fueled by its satire and painfully funny slapstick.

Don’t miss out on auditioning for this play or viewing it as part of the audience in the Founder’s Theatre Building at UTPB. Students can get in on the fun by assisting as crew members as well, male or female.

1 Comment

One Response to “Seeking an ingenue, an upcoming star for UTPB’s fall theatre production”

1. Michelle Mathews on September 12th, 2017 9:56 am

This is a great show! Very funny and very relevant to world events taking place right now. If you have an open mind politicaly, love comedy or want to try something new and exciting. Please come audition. We will work with almost any school or work schedules. Don’t want to be onstage? We have positions for lights, sound, stagehands and assistant stage manager. Like to paint or build? We have openings there too. We NEED your help to bring this show to life! Support your school, fellow students, community and the arts in Texas. See you at the theatre.

[Reply]

• Seeking an ingenue, an upcoming star for UTPB’s fall theatre production

News

Refugee from Congo, Africa, succeeding as Biology/English student and aspiring writer

News

Donate blood for a good cause

News

UTPB lauded nationally for having same faculty teach on campus and online courses

• News

UT in DC forum to foster collaboration between higher ed and defense community

News

UTPB men make 2017 Cross-Country All-Conference performers

News

Falcons Fly as They Bring Home the ‘W’

News

UTPB nursing program celebrates four-year mark

News

News

‘Boom or Bust’ book club gets creative with Frankenstein

News

Distinguished Professor from Oregon to present lecture on climate and energy