UTPB community joins in helping hurricane victims

West Texas Food Bank delivers food with its Big Orange Truck

West+Texas+Food+Bank+Director+of+Operations+Juan+Perez+%28far+left%29++stands+with+CEO+of+the+Food+Bank+of+the+Golden+Crescent+in+Victoria%2C+Texas.+Robin+Cadle+%28Center%29.+Despite+obstacles%2C+West+Texas+Food+Bank+Driver+Bobby+Vanderburg+%28far+right%29+got+the+%22Big+Orange+Truck%22+to+its+destination.+
West Texas Food Bank Director of Operations Juan Perez (far left)  stands with CEO of the Food Bank of the Golden Crescent in Victoria, Texas. Robin Cadle (Center). Despite obstacles, West Texas Food Bank Driver Bobby Vanderburg (far right) got the

West Texas Food Bank Director of Operations Juan Perez (far left) stands with CEO of the Food Bank of the Golden Crescent in Victoria, Texas. Robin Cadle (Center). Despite obstacles, West Texas Food Bank Driver Bobby Vanderburg (far right) got the "Big Orange Truck" to its destination.

Photo Courtesy of West Texas Food Bank

Photo Courtesy of West Texas Food Bank

Carolina Lugo, News Reporter

Photo Courtesy of West Texas Food Bank
West Texas Food Bank Director of Operations Juan Perez delivers non-perishable items to the food bank for Hurricane Harvey Victims.

It has been more than a week since Hurricane Harvey devastated the city of Houston and surrounding areas. With unprecedented amounts of rain (50 plus inches), the powerful storm left thousands of people without homes, food, and in the worst cases, it even left some without beloved family members. At first, the talks of how the situation could have been handled to prevent such deplorable losses was abundant, and it greatly overshadowed the imminent need of the victims who needed a little more than just a simple talk of politics from afar. As soon as the storm passed, and the effects were seen, people from all over the nation began uniting to offer basic necessities to the hurricane’s victims.

However, the results of the storm were felt emotionally to those in the other Texas communities including West Texas. The generosity of those living the Odessa area was demonstrated as the West Texas Food Bank’s Big Orange Truck arrived in Victoria, Texas. Various members of our community donated supplies and food to the West Texas Food Bank, and despite the setbacks and road hazards, the truck managed to arrive safely to the Food Bank of the Golden Crescent in Victoria.

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin is a campus filled with students from all over the nation, and even from different countries; however, the majority of students come from around Odessa/Midland and its rural communities. This means that some area citizens had families or friends that were directly affected by Hurricane Harvey. Needless to say, this encouraged various students and organizations at the University to put aside the irrelevant talks and lend a helping hand to victims of this tragedy. As William “Bill McRaven,” the Chancellor of the UT System, said, “So in a very real sense, whatever happens there happens to all of us.”

UTPB faculty and staff also showed great interest in the matters dealing with education: The Education Club and KDP Education Honor Society began collecting donations of classroom supplies that are needed by teachers in the areas affected by Hurricane Harvey. Donated items can be taken to room 3215 in the Mesa Building.

Our University is also offering services that are often forgotten in the midst of providing to a person’s physical needs. Just as any other traumatic event, Hurricane Harvey has affected many emotionally, and the University of Counseling and Psychological Services Center are offering their assistance to UTPB students, faculty, and staff that were directly affected by the hurricane. The center is open from 8:30 – 5:00 on Mondays through Fridays. However, they can also be reached by phone at 432-552-2635 if an appointment needs to be scheduled.

The Mesa Journal News extends condolences to those who were affected by this tragedy, and we hope that some of these supplies and services can provide hope for the future and a sense of support in this great time of difficulty.

In addition, the West Texas Food Bank also provides food for UTPB students in need. Faculty and students and the entire UTPB community donate canned goods and more to the Food Bank as well.

Donations are still being accpeted for more hurricane victims.