In Response to Mesa Journal News poll on Confederate statues, memorials

A statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee is removed from the University of Texas campus, early Monday morning, Aug. 21, 2017, in Austin, Texas. University of Texas President Greg Fenves ordered the immediate removal of statues of Robert E. Lee and other prominent Confederate figures from a main area of campus, saying such monuments have become

A statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee is removed from the University of Texas campus, early Monday morning, Aug. 21, 2017, in Austin, Texas. University of Texas President Greg Fenves ordered the immediate removal of statues of Robert E. Lee and other prominent Confederate figures from a main area of campus, saying such monuments have become "symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism." (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Eric Gay/Associated Press

Eric Gay/Associated Press

Robert Kirk of Kermit, Letter to the Editor Respondent

I had the bright idea to write a letter to the editor of a newspaper some day, but I figured now might be a good a time as any to start. This letter is in direct response to the poll question that talks about Six Flags Over Texas replacing a Confederate flag with an American flag.

First off, what is going on here is nothing new (or should be nothing new) to most people. We have heard of stuff like this happening all over the news. This removal of anything having to do with the Confederacy, in my opinion, is an erasing of one of the most important periods of US history. The way I see it, if this keeps up, no longer will the next generation of students know the names of Robert E. Lee or any mention of the Confederacy.

Secondly, this calling the Confederate flag “racist” and saying that the Confederacy “supported slavery” has got to stop. Why? President Abraham Lincoln once said “A house divided against itself will not stand.” And that’s EXACTLY what’s happening. By calling the Confederacy racist and a supporter of slavery, people have completely forgotten that the United States is UNITED for a reason, that we are a country “of the people, by the people, and for the people”. We are supposed to be INDIVISIBLE, but yet here we are, watching this stuff happen and wondering, “Are we really indivisible?”

Third, I want to bring up something that completely throws a wrench into this “get rid of the Confederacy” stuff happening. In Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, there is a monument entitled “Friend to Friend: A Brotherhood Undivided”. It features a statue that has a Union soldier comforting a Confederate soldier who was wounded in combat. This statue, I feel, is how the United States should be when it comes to the Confederacy. At the end of the day, yes, the Confederacy did lose the Civil War, but that doesn’t mean that we should be digging up the past and removing them from the face of the earth.

Finally, I want to share with you my personal view of history. History is like a dirty kitchen floor where every stain represents a major historical event. People may try to clean the stains (erase history), but in the end, the stain is still there, underneath the mound of cleaning solution that they used to try and clean it.

In closing, I do not condone anyone’s opinions. That is not what I came here to do. I simply wanted to express my opinions with current events and maybe enlighten ya’ll a little bit. Thank you.