Falcons are family! Enrollment hits 7,000 in preliminary count for Fall 2017

UTPB+students+and+community+members+fill+the+Student+Activities+Center+for+the+2017+Homecoming+Lip+Sync+competition.+Events+are+drawing+large+crowds+as+the+student+enrollment+just+hit+7%2C000.+
UTPB students and community members fill the Student Activities Center for the 2017 Homecoming Lip Sync competition. Events are drawing large crowds as the student enrollment just hit 7,000.

Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia

Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia

Travis Woodward, Director of Communication and Special Projects

ADVISORS NOTE: It does not matter what event you attend at UT Permian Basin, there is often a call for “more chairs.” However, every attendee is accommodated whether attending a graduation ceremony or a lip sync contest. Everybody is welcome and we are topping all enrollment growths. Come join us! –SIGNED, Opinion piece inserted here.
Fall Enrollment for UT Permian Basin is a record-high 7000 students. This number represents a 7.41% increase in headcount and a 4.79% increase in Student Credit Hours (SCH’s). NOTE: This is a preliminary count, and not the final tally. 

Among the programs with a significant increase in enrollment are engineering, nursing, and dual-credit enrollment (often online courses). 

Primary factors contributing to enrollment growth are the expansion of university courses and programs, a focus on quality teaching and the affordable cost of tuition.

“Our goal has always been to offer a high-quality education to our students at a cost they could afford,” Dan Heimmerman, vice-president, and provost of UTPB, said. “I want to recognize the hard work of our faculty and staff for their ongoing efforts and innovative approaches to improve student access and success while enhancing excellence in the classroom.”

UTPB has invested in online programs making it possible to earn a degree from a distance and allow for an expansion of career opportunities to the Permian Basin regional workforce. UTPB has received national recognition for its communications, arts, kinesiology and online degree programs. As part of UTPB’s commitment to quality, the University has also achieved a number of special accreditations that allow it to demonstrate to outside reviewers the success of its programs. For example, the College of Education has achieved full accreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, the visual arts program was the sixth department in Texas to be awarded accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, both the mechanical engineering program and the petroleum engineering program  have received accreditation by the engineering society ABET and the College of Business and Engineering is one of less than a third of U.S. business schools to hold Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB) accreditation.

UTPB offers a total of 35 baccalaureate degrees and 19 master degrees, with a music program and nursing program that opened in Fall 2013. Its student body is primarily composed of native Texans, with 40 percent of students coming from the Midland-Odessa. To meet the needs of students who work part-time or full-time, many upper level and graduate courses have scheduling options such as evening or weekend classes and online instruction. Accelerated degree programs are also offered in selected undergraduate and graduate areas. 

The University of Texas of the Permian Basin fielded its first football team in the fall of 2016. Currently, student-athletes and student participants are involved in athletic-supported activities comprising 13 percent of the full-time undergraduate student population. The expansion of athletics will provide a new source of community and school spirit. UTPB is now in a competitive position to attract students from not only West Texas but the state, nation, and world.

The first school in Texas to offer a $10,000 bachelor’s degree in select majors, UTPB has now been recognized as the second least expensive Texas public, a four-year institution for all college expenses, including tuition and fees, according to a College for All Texans’ report.

Go Falcons!