UTPB Faculty: Learn how to digitally archive your works

Irene Kamotsky will lead the lunch and learn symposium Wednesday, Nov, 1 for faculty to digitally archive their publications and other works.

Staff Reporter, Staff Reports

There is a saying that: “Once you have poured your heart and soul into a master’s thesis that only a handful of people will have read it (namely your committee), and the bound book that you purchase will languish on your bookshelf gathering dust.” And what about faculty research not being digitally archived? Faculty research includes the full spectrum of digital scholarship, from already published research articles to reports, working papers, data sets, video, creative works, and more. Student scholarship includes Master’s theses, honors projects, creative work, student events, and student-edited journals and publications.

Now, that we have your attention, an ambitious initiative is being led by Howard Marks, director of The University of Texas of the Permian Basin’s J. Conrad Dunagan Library to offer scholarly works in a digital archive that will benefit scholars globally.

Irene Kamotsky, Ph.D., will present “Showcasing Your Research and Digital Scholarship” at a “Lunch and Learn” symposium from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 1 in the UTPB Cooper Lecture Hall. Lunch is from noon.-12:30 p.m. and the symposium will be conducted from 12:30-2 p.m. The event is being offered free of charge to UTPB faculty.

“The most important thing to our faculty is that your contributed peer-reviewed publication papers, for instance, will disseminate out to the world. This means you will be seen by other scholars and can share knowledge. Content will be optimized for discovery, access, and scholarly impact on the open web, and even has built-in real-world metrics stretching globally. It will feature an array of pertinent current and historical data, including Master’s theses and projects, historical picture files and archival collections (print and audio), OER (open educational resources) textbooks, faculty research – published articles, conference proceedings, poster sessions, and more. This is a golden opportunity to learn how this IR will support your research, teaching, and public engagement on our growing campus,” Marks said.

The digital institutional repository (IR) and publishing platform will be offered in 2018.

Kamotsky, currently Director of Strategic Initiatives with bepress (Elsevier), was formerly the Director of Journals with Berkeley Press and Associate Director at Stanford University CLOCKSS. Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley and A.B., Economics, Cornell University.