Falcon Media

Antifa: The cowardly fascist

UTPB Freshman Evan Joel Mitchell is Political Columnist and Features Writer for the Mesa Journal News.

Evan Mitchell, Political Columnist and Writer

If you watched the news anytime in the past year, you have probably seen reports of protest happening on college campuses. Most of these protests have turned violent, and some have even shut down parts of the colleges where they were happening.  In these stories, you have also probably seen the name Antifa pop up once or twice.  Antifa is an umbrella term for people who want to fight against “Fascism” by opposing and or stopping “fascist” speakers from speaking on their campuses.  They do this by actively supporting and participating in violence against anyone and anything that would allow such “fascism” to occur, whether it is people attending the “fascist” speaker, the school for hosting the “fascist” speaker, or the “fascist” themselves.  Antifa has recently been labeled as a domestic terrorist organization, and I am going to tell you why.

First, we have to understand what Antifa is and what they are trying to accomplish.  So, Antifa is short for anti-fascist, and their goal is to fight fascism by any means necessary. Mark Bray, a lecturer at Dartmouth College and author of the new book Antifa: The Antifascist Handbook, says that the group “organize educational campaigns, build community coalition, monitor fascist, pressure venues to cancel their (Far-right, Neo-Nazis, Fascist) events, organize self-defense trainings, and confront the far-right when necessary” This is the nicest form that I could find explaining how Antifa works, but there is a problem with the steps the Mark Bray is writing about.  None of these actually help anything with their cause, and for three reasons. First, the steps are too vague, and it is hard for followers to interoperate what he means, second, these steps don’t actually forward any changing policy, and third, these steps are too extreme, especially when executed.

Antifa is full of people lost to any ideology and intellect. They say that they want to fight fascism, but all they do is attack people who aren’t fascist, or when they do find a fascist they increase his platform, popularity, and credibility. For example, Antifa made their first major rounds in the media when they canceled conservative speaker Milo Yiannopoulos from speaking at The University of California at Berkeley. They considered this a major victory, but in reality, this was a tremendous loss for their side.  Their protests were so violent and extreme that they started a fire, and began breaking the windows of the building where Yiannopoulos was going to speak. They were also attacking anyone wearing MAGA (Make America Great Again) hats, and preventing people from entering the venue. This was so extreme that Yiannopoulos had to be escorted out by his personal security, but this was also so extreme that it consumed news and media focus for the next week, and Yiannopoulos was asked by almost every news network to come and speak on the issues that occurred.  They gave Yiannopoulos more attention than he would have gotten by simply doing his speech, and now he was more credible because his opposition had to use violent and extreme tactics to shut him down because “They were scared of the truth”.  The worst part about this was that Milo Yiannopoulos isn’t a fascist.

Yiannopoulos is a British, gay, conservative provocateur who participates in American politics by writing on current issues or speaking at colleges.  He is incredibly favorable to the first amendment and constantly encourages debates, and or discussions with opposing viewpoints.  His political leanings are nowhere near that of fascism.  He is a conservative along with a sizable percentage of America.  He believes that abortion is murder, that the federal government needs to be weakened, and that the borders of America need to be secured better than they currently are.  He is just on the right side of the political aisle, and Yiannopoulos isn’t the only one who Antifa mislabeled a fascist.  There is also Ben Shapiro, a conservative Jew, Steven Crowder, a Christian conservative,  Dennis Prager, conservative, Ben Sass, conservative, etc…

And there lies one of the most crippling parts of Antifa, they decide to label anyone who holds a different viewpoint as a fascist.  Fascist originally came from Mussolini and was derived from Fascisti which means a bundle of sticks, and this was to show that the needs and wants of the collective outweighed the rights and needs of the individual.  Fascism has been used across the globe with some examples being: Mussolini, Hitler, and Stalin.  These were people who viewed the collective as more important than the rights of the individual, and they would enforce these beliefs using violence.  One of the most fascist things that you can do is use violence against a political opponent.  Fascism is to shut down opposing viewpoints, it is to threaten the lives of people who oppose your ideas, it is to destroy their rights to “protect” the individual.  These are a list of things that Antifa does.  They attempt to shut down opposing speakers and use violence and threats to do so.  They do it under the banner of fighting fascism but use fascistic principles to do so.  Antifa has caused nothing but damage and threats to the rights of individuals, and was rightly deemed a domestic terror organization by the government, but if there was one label that might suit them better it would be Fascist.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Antifa: The cowardly fascist”

1. Jamie Hughes on November 12th, 2017 10:20 pm

I would suggest a few articles that may help you developed a more nuanced perspective on this issue. This is an article from the Chronicle about Mr. Bray’s book on this subject (http://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Button-Down-Anarchist/241667). He is a historian who does not condone violence.

You might also find this article on Bannon and Yiannopoulos useful from the Southern Poverty Law Center whose mission is to decrease hate and increase tolerance (https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2017/02/23/how-stephen-bannon-made-milo-dangerous).

Happy reading.

2. Evan Mitchell on November 17th, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi, Dr. Hughes, thank you for the articles and the reply. I wasn’t able to read the article from the Chronicle since I didn’t have a subscription, but I specifically chose Mr. Bray’s definition of Antifa because he says he doesn’t condone violence, but at the same time says that heads or organizers of Antifa rallies need to organize self-defense classes, and to “confront the far-right when necessary”, and I am saying that that in itself is already a twisted way to view things. But also, that the Antifa members who attend these rallies tend to be more radical and violent.
    Also, the article that you sent me on Yiannopoulos and Bannon from the Southern Poverty Law Center didn’t really shed light onto anything that I didn’t know about either of them. All of that information included there is still not a shred of evidence that Milo Yiannopoulos is fascist, and that is the danger of a group that wants to shut down these “fascist”. Who is the one to label who as a fascist, especially in a world where people are so quick to demonize their political enemies.

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

‘Hate’ speech or ‘free’ speech? A fine line

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

From ‘the worst of times’ springs hope

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

U.S. regulates women’s bodies more than assault weapons

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

Fake news should be considered case-by-case

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

New San Antonio Law: You must be 21 in order to purchase any tobacco product

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

Sexual harassment still a reality

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

When it hits

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

Making gun policy in the mass of passion is a mistake

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

Why most Americans agree on the issue of kneeling

• Antifa: The cowardly fascist

Opinion

Can we now talk about gun control?