Potential students, family members crowd UTPB for Falcon Day

Dr. Myra Salcedo

“Freddy,” the UTPB Falcon Mascot, tackles reading “The Help,” an often required novel in English 1301. Freddy stopped by the table of the UTPB Literature and Languages Department at the Nov. 18 “Falcon Day” fair for students and family. The University mascot evidenced that he is no mere cheerleader, but academically-minded as well.

Staff Reports , Staff Reporter

Some faculty members exclaimed over the numbers of students, parents, their siblings and babes in arms (future scholars) who crowded into the Science and Technology Building Lobby for the Saturday, Nov. 18 “Falcon Day” fair which provided a wealth of information, snacks, lunch and entertainment that included a Ballet Folklorico group. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) event included the school’s mascot “Freddy the Falcon’s” antics as well as UTPB President Dr. Sandra “Sandy” Woodley mingling with families and potential students. Staff and faculty hosting tables to promote student services and academic┬ádisciplines were gratified to find, not only inquiring students, but their younger siblings asking questions as well–that and, even some parents considering completing degrees. The mission┬áto provide education for the community was in full force.