Falcon Media

Students find new high-tech devices conveniently available in their new 24-hour study space

+Check+out+HP+14-inch+monitor+laptops+for+24+hours+%28no-charge%29+at+the+J.+Conrad+Dunagan+Library+in+the+Library+area+lobbies.+Check+out+times+will+be+24%2F7.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Check out HP 14-inch monitor laptops for 24 hours (no-charge) at the J. Conrad Dunagan Library in the Library area lobbies. Check out times will be 24/7.

Staff Writer, Staff Writer

It is 3 a.m. and you are just beginning to write a major paper, but your computer locks up. Your friend’s dog chews up the cord that charges up your phone. Where are you going to go on campus?

Consider the University library. But wait, the library is only for books. Right?

Wrong.

Many University of Texas System libraries are hubs of activities and filled with students, 24-7. The University of Texas of the Permian Basin Library has and/or is bringing all of this technology to campus to be in place for a premiere grand opening unveiling on March 20 at 10:30 a.m. next to the Registrar’s office in the Mesa building lobby. There is an ideal 24-7 study space located next to the new automated laptop checkout kiosk in the Mesa lobby currently underutilized.

UTPB’s Library can be the “the center of campus,” Director Marks said.

“There is a perception that a library is only a place for books,” Marks said. “That is so far from the truth.”

So, a library patron can swipe his or her University ID and will be required to put in a UTPB account password (with no costs charged) at the new laptop kiosk, 24/7. No charges are made to the card unless the laptops are returned late, damaged, or not returned at all. This service was provided through Laptops Anytime, Inc., who currently serve fifty higher education institutions and plan to serve over fifty more colleges and universities in the next few months. For more, click here.

Already in place inside the J. Conrad Dunagan Library (66,000 square- foot building on campus) are banks of computers, phone chargers, bean bag chairs and smart boards; (Hello-group papers and group projects).  Students who prefer silence can check out the carrel rooms on the second floor that feature conference style tables, chairs, and whiteboards.