Fake news should be considered case-by-case

UTPB Freshman Evan Joel Mitchell is Political Columnist and Features Writer for the Mesa Journal News.

Evan Mitchell, Political Columnist and Writer

Fake News: fake news is a term that has never been used more than in the past two years, and there has actually sparked quite a lot of debate on the definition, and purposed solutions for fake news. So, what is fake news, and why is it important to know? There are definitions that are perpetuated by the two dominant political factions. The first one says that fake news can simply be news or news networks that have political biases since those said biases would affect the news that was being reported. The other side says that fake news is when the news is known to be wrong and yet is still reported out of malice. The latter of these is the more sensible but neither side is one hundred percent correct.

The first amendment of the United States of America grants many things, such as the freedom of speech, religion, and most important to this article, the freedom of the press. The freedom of the press is primarily there because the press is run by people, and to silence them would not only be the government overextending its duties towards businesses, but also restricting the freedom of speech to the people. The freedom of the press, I believe, is a very important portion of the first amendment because the press reports on things to inform the people, and if they weren’t free to report on what they wished then the people wouldn’t have the ability to know and understand everything, whether good or bad, that occurred. Also, fake news is an issue as we don’t want it corrupting our intake of valid information.

The issue with fake news is similar to the issue of the word “racist”, it is meant to be serious, but the insult has been used and inflated so many times on people who aren’t and weren’t racist that it has almost lost its gravitas as an insult. That is where the term “fake news” is heading. Fake news is when there is false news being spread as real and legitimate, normally with the knowing intent of its falsehood. President Trump ran heavily against the media claiming a majority of it to be fake news, and to his credit, there has been a lot of news that was not true being claimed as true, but the issue remains. President Trump rallied heavily against certain news networks such as CNN and MSNBC as fake news. Calling entire news organizations fake doesn’t help advance the march against fake news, it only clouds the decision of what fake news is and isn’t. There have been many stories and articles that were published by large media outlets that were proved to be false, but attacking large media corporations isn’t how we solve that issue. How we combat fake news is not by attacking entire news networks, but instead attacking specific stories, and or articles that are verifiably false. This will help ensure that news networks are still free, but it pushes them to check their stories and articles closer.