Falcon Media

UTPB alumnus Matthew Pinkney to kick off Marketing Alumni Lecture Series

UTPB alumnus Matthew Pinkney, and member of the HEB School of Leadership, will kick off the inaugural

UTPB alumnus Matthew Pinkney, and member of the HEB School of Leadership, will kick off the inaugural "UTPB Marketing Alumni Lecture Series" noon -1 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20 in the Success Center, located on the second floor of the Mesa Building, Room 2110. Jimmy John's, a sandwich restaurant in Odessa, will cater the free lunch, and lecture.

“Be the question” Matthew Pinkney, an alumnus of The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) said. Pinkney, a man with a plan will speak from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20 in the Success Center, located on the second floor of the Mesa Building, Room 2110. He is the first speaker at the inaugural  UTPB Marketing Alumni Lecture Series event presented by Marketing Experiences, a student-led organization and  sponsored by the College of Business. Jimmy John’s, a sandwich restaurant in Odessa, will cater the luncheon (which is offered free of charge).

Pinkney, a member of the HEB School of Retail Leadership, will speak on the impact of his time at the University and his role in leadership at HEB. He graduated from UTPB Summer 2016 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing and was employed by HEB the same year.

The event is open to the public but also will appeal to aspiring business students, according to UTPB Marketing Experiences President Majeda Abu-Alghanam. She said: “The objective of this event is to encourage students in their current studies, share the success stories of prior students, facilitate networking and to highlight career opportunities in the Permian Basin.”

Amazingly, Pinkney was not a university-bound student from the get-go.  He said: “After a head-on collision with a drunk driver, my PCL (a knee ligament) was torn due to a twisted kneecap.  Because of this, I realized that I could no longer rely on heavy physical labor to make a living and vowed to pursue an education.”

And what a distance he has hurdled.

He is now guided by goal-setting and leadership concepts.

For example, Pinkney would encourage students to “Build Relationships: Building relationships is essential to every leader’s success.  I make it a priority to acknowledge and treat every single person at work with dignity.  Ignoring people or treating them badly doesn’t fly in the business world.  According to the Harvard Business Review, rudeness makes an extremely negative impact on any businesses’ productivity and sales.”

In addition, he suggests that leaders: “Be the question:  Instead of telling someone to do something that they’re accountable for, I’ll ask them about it so that they can come up with the right answer and commit to it.  In other words, be the question.”

When queried about his perception on being the first speaker up on the UTPB Marketing Alumni Lecture Series, Pinkney said: “I am both amazed and humbled to be selected to speak to my fellow Falcons.”

Pinkney will be the first in a series of guest speakers who are UTPB College of Business Alumni. For additional information contact Marketing