Falcon Media

Presidio student pens short story for UTPB class

Pearl+%22Perla%22+Soto+is+a+senior+at+Presidio+High+School+enrolled+in+a+UTPB+online+English+1302+course+through+the+dual-credit+program.+Presidio+is+a+border+town+and+Soto+recommends+tacos+al+pastor+when+crossing+into+Mexico.+
Pearl

Pearl "Perla" Soto is a senior at Presidio High School enrolled in a UTPB online English 1302 course through the dual-credit program. Presidio is a border town and Soto recommends tacos al pastor when crossing into Mexico.

Pearl Soto, Guest Writer

A 16-year-old had awoken from her short nap, taken after a long day at school. She again felt sick; the weather wasn’t helping either. She had a long day in school; still, she wasn’t able to enjoy lunch because of the mean classmates who bother her. As she walked outside to her mother’s call, she took a glimpse of the window and noticed the sky was entirely gray. She realized this day might not be so like she anticipated.

Maria lived with her mother in a small cabin by the shore, where they are closer to school where her mom worked, and she attended full time. Winter was beginning, and the trees cracked, the fish often left to warmer areas making it hard to catch any to eat. Maria was feeling upset and tired; she had had a bad dream that unsettled her throughout the day. 2:37 p.m. looked like nightfall with the massive storm ahead, the smell of the dirt and humidity were signs of it getting closer. As they prepared to gather vegetables for supper later in the afternoon, they managed to obtain fresh herbs from the trees planted in the forest by their ancestors. After several minutes of gathering nets, bags, and seeds to plant, they set off into the wilderness in hopes to make it before the rain caught them.

The soil was at the surface and had a strong earthy smell that felt almost muddy. They only managed to save several vegetables, most were rotten and had been chewed on by animals. They decided to split, and take different routes home in hopes to find any food to make up what they lost before the storm hit. Catalina was Maria’s mother, a humble and independent woman. The mother had a long day of labor, which she was fired from for being several minutes late. Still, that wouldn’t stop her from giving her daughter a meal, a priority she would never neglect. In the forest, the buzzing of the insects and sounds of baby birds in their nest were soothing to her ears. Catalina was afraid for the animals’ safety after the storm but did have faith they would survive. She came across a coconut tree, tall and firm, you could tell it had been there for years with the tough of its bark and long roots. After maneuvering up the tree, Catalina managed to collect several coconuts. While there, she opened one and drank the coconut water. The taste wasn’t what she expected, it was salty and bitter, and maybe it was just old.

In a trail, Maria and Catalina eventually bumped into each other, walking the rest of the way home together. Maria had no luck finding any food but gathered several mint leaves and banana leaves to wrap their last fish with. Both prepared supper, the storm had fallen and the sky thundered while it poured in rain. The silence was surreal, and the drops that were falling from the roof were playing a melody. As they enjoyed their meal they hardly spoke, they both had a long day and dreaded talking anything about it. The storm stopped, they went outside to view the sky. The stars were bright but still covered with several clouds; the breeze was cold and misty. They could see over the mountains, where the moon was sitting quietly. They were ready for bed not knowing what the next day would bring.