Two Pairs of Shoes

Milca+Rodriquez+is+an+online+student+from+Palacios%2C+Texas.+She+penned+this+short+story+in+a+UTPB+online+English+1302+course.+
Milca Rodriquez is an online student from Palacios, Texas. She penned this short story in a UTPB online English 1302 course.

Milca Rodriguez, Guest Writer

A new day had already begun bringing promises and open doors. The stars faded away losing their diamond shimmer as the darkness passed away. In the crack of the dawn, the sound of footsteps was heard echoing alongside of the road coming from two pairs of shoes. The pair of rose gold shoes stopped and stood still. However, the white pair of sneakers continued to walk on. The one that stopped gazed heavily to see the bright, fiery sun rise. Rays of sunlight streaked across the sky escaping through the magnificent clouds. The huge clouds were building up in front of the sun right before they drifted away to dot the soon to be bright, blue sky. Orange, red, yellow, purple and dark blue stroked the sky blending like watercolors. The air was fresh and crisp. Colorful butterflies flew around lightly touching the air with sweetness. The color of trees was blinding because of the bright green leaves were sprouting with bursting joy. Birds chirped new songs that filled the soulful air. Morning dew made the flowers sparkle and as they swayed in the distance. A stunning white fog unveiled the thick pastures as it left a faint smell of lavender and jasmine blooms. The whole landscape was bathed in warm sunshine rising frowns upside down. In a split second, the rose gold shoes dug into the soft ground and ran at full speed ahead kicking up dust. The more they ran the faster they became. They were drifting higher and higher into the sky. Gushes of wind blew strongly and filled her lungs. She was left feeling alive and exhilarated. The rose gold shoes were tied on to an aesthetic, lost girl who had hoped of investigating the world’s marvelous wonders.

On the farther end of the road the white pair of sneakers was staggering towards a heavy gate that opened to an abandoned city. The air felt humid and thick as if it was a heavy burden on the shoulders. The city lay on top of a cliff where deep below waves crashed furiously. There was a black fog that shadowed the city. The pair of sneakers started wandering through the dark streets that were wet and dirty. Her shoes were drenched in clumps of mud. Suddenly, pouring rain swept down the entire city shaking it fearfully. Her whole body shivered as her wet clothes hug tight to her body. A bursting cry of thunder broke the still air as it echoed through the never ending night. It sagged the trees and dry rose bushes to the ground. Cold rain pierced through and burned with agony. Still trembling, she stumbled to the closest bench under a neglected front porch and plopped down before she fell down. Tears stung in her eyes and she wiped her face on her shirt. That was way too close. If I would have… she shuddered. The grey clouds loomed the sky promising more pain. Splish, Splash, Crack, Boom! She could hear the rain falling outside the burned-out building, its loud, heavy drops smacking everywhere. It’s falling inside too, trickling in through gaping holes in the roof down through the floors of rotted wood and broken staircases. Splish, Splash, Crack, Boom! Splish, Splash, Tip, Tap…. The girl looked around. It’s dark in the awful way that allows you to make out objects but not the black spaces behind them. Crack, Boom, Tip, Tap, Tip, Tap, Crack! She heard the chilling noise come from behind. As she began to leap away she was grabbed by her shoulder, and she turned around struck in horror at the sight that lay in front of her.