Nuclear conference depicts new realm in energy

American+Nuclear+Society+students%2C+who+recently+attended+a+conference+are%2C+%28left+to+right%29+Michael+Clancy%2C+Cain+Rodriguez%2C+Carolina+Lugo+and+%C3%81ngelica+Cagle.+
American Nuclear Society students, who recently attended a conference are, (left to right) Michael Clancy, Cain Rodriguez, Carolina Lugo and Ángelica Cagle.

Ana Ruth Lugo Mejia, Multi-Media Managing Editor

Students from the engineering department had the opportunity of attending a student Conference at The University of Florida.

Students from the nuclear track traveled April 5-7 to attend the American Nuclear Society Student Conference. Members from the American Nuclear Society (ANS) chapter at The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (UTPB) and Luis Trueba, faculty advisor and associate professor of Mechanical Engineering, made the trip to Gainesville, Florida.

Angelica Cagle, ANS president, Carolina Lugo secretary, Michael Clancy vice-president, and Cain Rodriguez, treasurer were the students that had the opportunity of attending the conference.

The society’s mission is to provide members with opportunities for professional development, it also serves the nuclear community by creating a forum for sharing information and advancements in technology. The American Nuclear Society Student Conference is an annual event that gathers students within nuclear science and technology to present research, network and offers a variety of activities relevant to the field.  The conference presented various panels, keynote speakers, workshops, a Career Fair, several technical activities and presentation of research. This year’s theme was “Nuclear Equality in Policy, Energy Access, and within the Engineering Community”.

Amongst the notable keynote speakers were Cammy Abernathy, Dean of Engineering at the University of Florida, Daniel Churchman, Fleet Engineering Director at Southern Nuclear Operating Company, Vince Gilbert, Chief Knowledge Officer at Excel Services, Armond Cohen, Executive Director at Clean Air Task Force, and Bob Coward, ANS President.

Some of the panels to choose from were “The role of next generation nuclear in remote regions”, “Nuclear affairs in modern American Politics”, “Perspectives from Women in Engineering” to name a few.

Carolina Lugo, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, said that she joined the nuclear track that is offered at UTPB because it was a good opportunity to network and learn about the industry. She stated that she learned a lot at the conference and added: “I think we need to start communicating better when it comes to nuclear engineering.” She thinks “nuclear engineering is really important to the environment and it’s also one of the cleanest ways of providing energy which we need for the future”.

Nuclear engineering often has a bad connotation mainly because of ignorance and misinformation. Carolina Lugo mentions the bad perception attached to it “people tend to think it’s scary and people tend to think that nuclear energy is equivalent of nuclear bombs, when in reality they are different processes. We haven’t spent time in researching and investing time into how it could actually be beneficial for society and the world in the future”. She thinks that the only way to get people to understand is to promote what they believe in utilizing their skills, “we know how it works but just amongst ourselves.”

She thinks the key is communication, better communication.

If you would like to join ANS or know more about the nuclear track program contact Dr. Luis Trueba at [email protected]