Falcon Media

New Season, New Team, Newman 2.0

It's a new era for UTPB Men's Basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Season, New Team, Newman 2.0

Clarissa Gonzales, Reporter

Basketball season has officially tipped and fans will notice an entirely new team taking the hardwood – they call it Newman 2.0 and they’re ready to bring the heat.

The men are led by new Head Coach Joshua Newman. He says his purpose is bigger than getting a win on the court, he wants to inspire his team to be the best versions of themselves and win each day.

“I want to inspire the team and let each player know that they can achieve anything they put their mind to, whether in basketball or life,” Newman said.

He has been a coach for 20 years and enjoys being in Odessa with the motivational help and support from President Woodley, Athletic director, Scott Farmer and the whole community.

Newman brings 20 years of experience to Odessa – a new home and adventure for his family.

“The one that has helped me feel most at home is all of the the motivational support from President Woodley, Athletic Director Scott Farmer and the whole community,” Coach Newman said.

Though Newman brings a new era to the basketball program, he plans to hold true to the standard set in place by the teams from years past.

“A goal of ours is to strive to keep the conference title,” he said. “UT Permian Basin has a good reputation in the Lone Star Conference and we aim to keep it for the 2018-19 team.”

Players to watch:

The team can definitely achieve this goal with the help from out of state players, Nashville native Kyree Elder and Mobile, Alabama’s Jamani Glover.

Basketball is Glover’s blood – his entire family plays the game, so it was only natural he does too.

“Growing up, everyone played basketball. That inspired me to play,” he said.

Both Elder and Glover have been playing ball since they were young and have drawn motivation from their parents, striving to win not only on the court, but in the classroom as well.

“I’m working to get my degree in Communications and become a sports journalist,” Elder said.

Glover’s future also includes sports.

“I want to become a coach,” he said. “I’m getting my degree in sports management.”

Another player to watch is junior Miles Washington – he brings personality and high hopes to the team.

“I want to be the next Lebron James,” he said.

If he doesn’t get signed with the Los Angeles Lakers, Washington plans to get his degree in Information Technology.

These juniors couldn’t finish the game without the help of their favorite freshman, hometown talent:  Isaac Hernandez.

Hernandez was born and raised in Odessa and has been playing for more than a decade. He doesn’t have to look far for motivation – all he has to do is go home.

“Any time I’m home, my dad would have drills written out and ready for me,” Hernandez said. “He helped me focus on ball handling and defense. That helped me get to where I am today.”

Hernandez is a Kinesiology major and hopes to become a physical therapist after college.

These young men all have the same goal: improve their game every day and to bring home another conference title.

It’s a new day for the men’s basketball team – now let’s get ready to support Newman 2.0. The team’s home opener is set for Nov. 21st against Sul Ross State University.