Admissions Office Excited about Future of UT Permian Basin

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rafael Aguilera

Rafael Aguilera

Rafael Aguilera

Owusu Bafour, Reporter/Photographer

It is an exciting time to be on campus at The University of Texas of the Permian Basin. In the last year and half, the University has welcomed a new President, more faculty members have come on board and new academic partnerships, just to name a few.

Every department has seen change and/or growth. Recently, Office of Admissions got a total makeover. Falcon Media paid the office a visit to see what else students can get excited about.

Director of Admissions, Scott Smiley says his department is working to increase enrollment numbers.

“Our goal is to recruit more students,” Smiley said. “It is a combination of things. At the moment, the goal is to double the number of graduates as soon as possible.”

The University is putting more tools in place in order to retain students. Smiley says one way they’re doing that is to improve communication campus-wide.

“In the past, the Education Advisory Board (EAB), used to determine early alerts for students to improve student-faculty communication. We would like to improve upon that,” he said.

Smiley did not leave out international students – their goal is to recruit more students from abroad.

“It is the goal of the University to put together structured internships that international students can participate in and eventually recruit more international students,” Smiley said. “It is very important to us that those students are properly supported.”

Perhaps the most exciting goal, Smiley says his office is looking forward to improved facilities.

“There are plans to remodel our already existing academic facilities,” Smiley said. “I’m most excited about the addition of the kinesiology building. This facility will help recruiting student athletes in the future.”

Smiley invites students and faculty to stop by the newly renovated Office of Admissions. They are more than happy to answer questions you may have about admissions and recruitment.